PDA

View Full Version : U.S. History? How?

TXMary2
07-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I am planning on buying TOG, but we would be starting on Yr 2 Unit 3. I want to cover U.S. History the next two school years, but I cannot figure out how I am going to do that since it appears all of year 3 and 4 would need to be covered.

Basically, my 14 yo ds will be starting 9th grade.....the plan is U.S. History in 9th and 10th and Ancient/World History 11th and 12th. How can my ds cover all 4 years of TOG this way? We do school year round, but on a much lighter schedule in the summer. Help!

Christine TX
07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi Mary.

Are you from Texas as well?? You know we don't HAVE to do anything!!!! To me, if you do all 4 years then you easily get 2 years of American history and 2 years of world. I think on the Loom somewhere they have how you can do that. I'm not worried about it. My 7th grade and 9th grader did year 3 last year and I just called it 19th Century history and year 4 this next year ( 8th and 10th) My 10th grader will be taking the AP US history exam in May. Then when they are in 9th and 11th it will be year 1, however I think my oldest will do AP government instead of year 1 history, but I don't know for sure yet. If I have 4 years of history, then the colleges should be happy.

Christine

Pat
07-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I'd second what Christine says. You will want to carefully study both TX law and what colleges might expect from you in the way of requirements, but I agree with her assessment as to allocating TOG credits. I think their coverage is such that you could award both history and literature in this manner.

TXMary2
07-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Thank you, I guess it doesn't really matter the order anyway since I plan on doing his transcript by subject and not year. He does plan on going to a University and he will be taking as many CLEP tests as possible as well as taking dual credit at our local community college. I get hung up sometimes on course names. Thanks ladies!