PDA

View Full Version : Lapbook 11x17 paper problem

Mom8
09-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I purchased the lapbook for my dd to do this year, and I was planning on using file folder for the little books to be pasted into, like we did when I last used them 3 years ago for Y1. This time the instructions recommend using 11x17 cardstock, which I think would be a big improvement over the files I'm using. I have been trying to locate a supplier of this size and can't find it anywhere, except in amounts of 250 pcs.!! I will never use this much cardstock in one color, even though the price isn't too bad ($22.42 from Paperworks, online supplier).

Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, how did you handle it?

Thanks,
Laurie

Marcia
09-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey, Laurie

This is why people buy our kits. However, there are many creative ideas as to what to do with the extra cardstock. Your kids can use them in a variety of ways for other projects. Here are a few ideas:
* Have kids make and decorate postcards to send regular notes of encouragement to grandparents, missionaries, and friends (be sure to check with the post office for legal limits/sizes/areas to write in).
* Card stock is great to use for many projects, especially models of things you might study this year (or in future years).
* Use card stock extensively to decorate display boards in the future.
* Use it whenever there are events at your house: birthdays, welcome back parties, etc. (Your kids will grow in outward focus when thinking up signs to bless others!)
* Share some with a friend for all of the above uses.
* Donate the extra to your church's (or church school's) Sunday school department or art departments. (It's always a delight to give, and you won't have to store it that way. http://tapestryofgrace.groupee.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

I'm sure other ladies will have ideas, too.

Busy Boys
10-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Laurie - This is a late response to your question, but if you have a Michael's craft store near you, they carry a line of Martha Stewart scrapbooking paper that is (I think) 18 x 18. I used it last year for our lapbooks, trimmed it down, and it worked great.
Jennifer

Pat
11-01-2009, 03:32 AM
A lot of home printers wouldn't be able to handle 11 x 17 paper. I'm pretty sure my HP Photosmart wouldn't.

So you might check with local copy places to see if they copy to 11 x 17 card stock (you might have to ask them to load the self serve machine for you or pay them to make copies).

I don't know if they will be able to copy from the disc you have either in terms of copyright and DE issues.

Marcie in SC
11-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Just wanted to clarify what might be confusing for some readers of this thread. The 11x17 cardstock is intended to be used as the base for the lapbook, as opposed to using file folders like is typically done. It is not to be run through a printer - only used as a base onto which the booklets are to be mounted. I happen to think it looks nicer than file folders, but it's definitely not a requirement.

However, the 11x17 cardstock is available through Lampstand as a stand-alone product - in sets of three pieces for just a dollar. The three pieces are then joined together to form the base for the lapbook. So you could do like I did and order however many sets of three you need. I ordered the download version of the lapbook, so this cardstock is available, as I said, whether or not you've ordered the whole kit, which would have the booklets already printed on colored paper.

I think some might have been confused as to what exactly the 11x17 paper was used for and some may not have realized that you don't have to buy it in packs of 250, or whatever.

Finishing up our Unit 1 lapbooks this week,

Marcia
11-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks, Marcie! http://tapestryofgrace.groupee.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif