PDA

View Full Version : HELP, Ray!

sahm99
07-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Well, I did NOT update to 10.7...just to 10.68...and I can't open a single document any more...

I did understand from your sticky (and the e-mail you sent), that upgrading to Lion was not advisable to do. But I certainly did not expect to run into this kind of trouble with a "regular" standard update...

Just for info: The interface looks perfectly normal, but nothing happens when I click on a link to a document...

Is there a way to "grade down"?

Thanks!

RayatTOG
07-25-2011, 08:04 AM
It sounds like there was a change to the way Safari handles links. We saw a similar problem in Firefox a year or so ago that happened when they updated their Mac version of the software. Until we can get this tested and resolved, another customer has found that she can access her documents by going in the Finder to Applications > Tapestry of Grace and then the appropriate pdcs_ folder. (If you're not sure which document to select, you can hover over the link in the Interface. That will show the filename in the bottom of the window.)

sahm99
07-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Hello Ray,

Thank you for your reply!

...I have good news for you: When I realized last night that I had compromised my access to TOG through my Mac (unvoluntarily), I decided to go through with installing Lion (OS X 10.7)and use TOG from my other (PC) Computers for the time being...

Now I went back and did as you advised...and it works...even with Lion!
So...I pushed it further...and TOG works (almost) perfectly with Firefox!!!

The one little "thing" is, that before opening any document from TOG I am asked for a confirmation about whether I want to use Locklizard to open the file... The option of using "always" as the default answer is shadowed.

I am so relieved...and am now ready to wait patiently until the guys from Locklizard figure out the details for Safari... ;-)

I thought all of this might be interesting for you...

Katrin

RayatTOG
07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi, Katrin!

Please let us know exactly what DOES work ...

We know that 10.6.7 works with everything.

10.6.8 didn't SEEM to work with Safari without doing the combo upgrade (which reverts Safari back to 5.0.5)

We were told that 10.7 won't work with ANYTHING (until LockLizard releases an update). Are you saying you are able to use Lion? If so, with which internet browser and which version of the browser? Or, are you just opening your LockLizard documents from the Finder, skipping the Interface altogether?

sahm99
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Ray,

I am indeed using the regular interface...

I changed my default browser to Firefox, so it opens any link I click on directly from the interface, after asking me for confirmation that I want to use Locklizard...

Too good to be true... But it works!

Hth!

sahm99
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
...and, yes, I am on Lion now (since last night)...

fourgrogs
07-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Firefox and Lion do not work together for me. The interface does not work at all.

sahm99
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I do not understand this...!

I am using Lion (10.7) with (Modzilla) Firefox 3.0.1...
Could this work because my Firefox-version is a very old one (I was asked to upgrade, but postponed...)???

Well, I will hold on to this old Firefox-version, until I understand WHY it is working for me - and it really is working perfectly (apart of constantly asking for confirmation that I want to open the document with Locklizard)...

Katrin

st8homom
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I also "upgraded" to 10.6.8, thinking it was fine.

It's not. I understand that we can still access files by going to finder, but that is very cumbersome and time consuming.

Will this issue be fixed when the new, improved Locklizard comes out?

RayatTOG
07-27-2011, 11:41 AM
What you're describing (having to go through the Finder to open .pdc documents with LockLizard) isn't a LockLizard issue. That's a problem with the browser (I assume you're using Safari).

I'm testing upgrading with different versions and browsers today and tomorrow and hopefully will have some answers for you tomorrow.

st8homom
07-27-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm glad you'll be looking into it. I just thought that it was a problem that Safari was having with Locklizard.

Thanks for all you are doing to help us be able to use the DE in an efficient way! This technological know-how is way beyond me.

sahm99
07-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Just for your info:
For me, Firefox (3....-version) is working very nicely with the TOG-interface (all of that under Lion).

Hth!

st8homom
07-28-2011, 06:11 AM
Thank you. I did download Firefox to see if it would work, but it is version 5.0. I can see the interface, but I cannot get the content unless I re-download it each time. I'm just not computer savvy enough to figure out how to keep it accessible. I'm so glad it's working for you with Lion. I guess the problem really is just Safari.

sahm99
07-28-2011, 06:49 AM
We live in Europe, so when I looked for "Firefox" in Google, it took me to the international download site for Firefox... There I chose the US-version, but indicated that I lived in Europe... The version that was downloaded was older (3something...). As soon as the download was finished, I was invited to update, which I declined (I was so eager to try out if TOG was going to work...lucky me!).
And...it did work! From the interface, just like before!

Do you think there is a way you could access that "Old Europe-version", LOL?

st8homom
07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
I wonder....

If not, wouldn't that be a good excuse to go visit Europe? http://tapestryofgrace.groupee.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

H Coffman
07-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Hello, I was having the same problem with my Lion and browsers; however, I am now using Google Chrome as my default browser, the latest version 12.0.742.122, and it works great! It is fast and easy. At first it was seeming to download the information and keeping it at the bottom of the screen for me to click on in order to open it, but I simply chose "do this for all files like this" or something similar and now it just opens it automatically. If I click the green plus in the upper left corner of the screen, after LockLizard opens, I can even get full screen TOG.

A couple of small catches, I had my trackpad set to two finger swipe to scroll between pages (aka: as the "back" and "forward" button) and it did not work with Chrome, so I had to set it to three fingers (no problem.) Also, when you are in full screen Chrome you cannot use your dock unless you swipe out to Mission Control and then choose from the dock from there. Apple assures me that this is a bug and will possibly be fixed in the future. (The more people who let them know about the problem, the more likely they are to fix it.) BTW the same problem with the dock is there in full screen Firefox, but not in Safari.

Also, this does fill up my downloads folder pretty quickly, but you can choose the sprocket in the downloads folder and choose "clean up by kind" it will group all of the downloaded LockLizard files together and you can select them all at once and move them to the trash.

Well, I don't really know that much about computers, but with the web you can do almost anything! ha ha
(It's just like teaching homeschool, I don't know all that stuff about 3rd grade grammar or history, but with the right book, you can teach anything!)

Enjoy!

Heather

sahm99
07-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Thank you Heather!!

This sounds better than what I have been doing with my old Firefox ;-)))

I will play around a bit tomorrow, and will follow your advice!

pilotselect
08-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Interesting.

I just ran into this problem today, where Safari won't open TOG pages. I noticed I did pick up 5.1 in a recent update.

Are you saying that I can't use Safari and TOG unless I:
1. Downgrade
2. Go to Lion? (based on the Locklizard/Lion thread)

Thanks for the help.

Joe

RayatTOG
08-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi, Joe!

Actually, Safari won't work with Lion either (yet).

The only version of Safari that Lion runs is 5.1, which is the version that doesn't work.

So, for now, it's either stay with Safari and Snow Leopard (and downgrade Safari to 5.0.5 with the combo update) or upgrade to Lion and use a browser other than Safari.

Paulitacq
08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Can someone explain how to downgrade to 5.0.5? I just updated and have the same problem where none of my links will come up. I tried to figure it out, but had no luck.

Alex@TOG
08-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Hello Paulitacq!

In order to downgrade to 5.0.5, you need to still have Mac OS 10.6.8 installed. The update will not work with Lion (10.7). It would be good to double-check that first.

If you still have 10.6.8 installed, follow this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399 Once you're on that page, download and install the Combo Update to revert Safari back to 5.0.5.

An alternate solution if you have Lion (or if you do not want to deal with Safari automatically updating to the version that does not work with DE) is to use an alternate internet browser called Firefox. You can download that from this link: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

After you've installed Firefox, you must tell the Tapestry DE to always open with Firefox. To do that, right-click on your Tapestry DE icon on your desktop, mouse over Open With, and select Other... (not Firefox). Then select Firefox from the applications list and be sure to check the Always Open With check box below.

Either way you choose, you should be able to view your files again. Please let me know if you have any questions!