PDA

View Full Version : How do I begin WA mid-year?

11-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I want to start Writing Aids now, but we are already in week 8 of year 1 redesign. How do I go about doing this, as the assignments seem to build on previous weeks.
thanks
Chris

Marcia
11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Writing Aids does not include assignments at all. It is a "how to" handbook for you and your children, arranged by writing genres. Think of it like a cookbook: want a recipe for essay writing? Page 26! Want to help kids write stories? Look on page 82. (NOTE: These aren't real page numbers.)

So, whether you're using Classic or Redesigned TOG, or another program, Writing Aids is for everyone, at all ages, anytim! Enjoy!

BLT
11-07-2007, 02:12 PM
If you mean that you want to start using the Tapestry writing assignments at this point in the year, then you'll have to use your judgement. You may be able to shorten things a little, eliminating some early assignments if you think you can. But I agree that the assignments build on each other, and you probably don't want to eliminate them entirely.

You could just start at the beginning. Topic choices might be challenging; depending on a number of things, you could choose to come up with topics relevant to what you're studying in this week's weekplan, or use topics unrelated to Tapestry assignments, or use the topics as assigned and just consider them to be review. I'd probably use a combination of these things.

The most important thing is to get your child writing and improving on writing. It is nice if it coordinates with what you're doing this week, but it's not essential.

I don't know what level you're looking at, so I can't be specific, but at some point you may be able to skip some assignments and get ahead to where you are studying. For example, if there are three weeks of report writing, you could shorten that to one or two. And if there's a unit on playwriting, you could eliminate that so that you can synchronize the two studies.

11-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Since you are in week 8, I would wait until week 10 when unit 2 starts.

We just started TOG and we started with year 1 unit 2 because we had already covered so much of unit one that I felt we needed to move on. I noticed that the writing assignments (and something told me somewhere, I can't remember where) that each unit's writing assignment are self contained (a project that you are working on in unit one ends in that unit and doesn't carry over to unit two). Also, each unit has a different focus for writing.

So I would just start the writing assignment when you start unit 2. Just pick the level that would be the most appropiate for you child for that unit. (I'm starting both of my kids at one level below their grade level because neither of them has had much in the way of learning to write. I figure I'll look at each unit and decide where to place them for that unit.)

I hope that helps.
Mariann

BLT
11-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I would just start the writing assignment when you start unit 2. Just pick the level that would be the most appropiate for you child for that unit.

Whether this works would depend on your own students and their preparations, and probably on their level. Writing assignments start out much less demanding at the beginning of the year; even at the 9th-grade level, the first assignments of the year are for paragraph-length assignments. But the first assignment of unit 2 (year 2) for 9th grade level is a 10-page paper! My daughter would have self-destructed if I'd started with that.

On the other hand, my first-grade son probably could have jumped in on unit 2 or 3 without much trouble.