PDA

View Full Version : Classical Conversations with TOG?

MotherDuck
04-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Have any of you used Classical Conversations along-side TOG? I am considering it for next year. If so, what are the pros and cons for your family? Thank you.

Pat
04-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I can't give you the specific information in regards to cc, but I can share our experience with co-ops and "big" programs like TOG.

There were some classes that were great because we didn't have a direct compete with what we did at home. In the case of Tapestry that would be math and science but also any detail areas where I was willing to secede the subject to the co-op.

However for the direct compete subjects: history, literature, church history, government things go more difficult because the co-op never quite lined up with what we were studying and I had the choice between sending my child to the co-op under-prepared or cutting part of what I loved and paid for in TOG. It was a tug of war that for us, wasn't a good fit. Or staggering my work at home in some odd way to fit the schedule of the co-op.

I think a co-op can be a blessing, but you need to think carefully and pray hard about your options and how you'll fit everything together and assume that it will be harder than you expect (and if it is not, be happily pleased).

MotherDuck
04-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Thank you, Pat.

Bethmn
04-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I am just finishing up a year with Classical Conversations after being with TOG for two years. I am going back to TOG and will stop CC. I will be matching up CC history sentences with what we are learning in TOG. The full day away from school was too much for our family. It really pushed everything else into a 4 day school week. Now, that can work in the lower grammar ages, but in my opinion, starting in 5th grade, CC is not enough science or history for that age. I have a friend who has been homeschooling for quite a while and said that if you are going to expect more work from your student, you need to give them time to do it. So, I am stopping the co-op mostly to give my soon to be 12 year old time to really work with the dialectic stuff and to give my family peace from a very hectic pace.

Abbfam5
05-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I will be matching up CC history sentences with what we are learning in TOG.

This is what we've done for the past year. We used the timeline to memorize in sync with what we were studying in year 3 and aligned the History Sentences to match the topics were were studying as well. I've never participated in a CC community, just purchased some of their resources and we did it ourselves, we also used the geography (two other families and myself meet for dialectic and literature discussions and we do the CC stuff with the D level and G level siblings). Since I've already invested in TOG, I felt like I would have to make a choice and be stressed if we tried to do both. By adapting some of the great grammar level memory work to our TOG work, I thought we have our G level students some good supplementary content.

K3bzr18
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
I am in CC and wondering how the years match up with TOG cycles? i know TOG is way more intense but since they are already memorizing the facts, I thought it might work well. We are going into Cycle 2 (prereformation to modern) in the fall and I am not sure which year to start in.
Thank you!!
Lynn

Abbfam5
05-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Lynn,

Cycle 2 would roughly match up with TOG 2, 3, and 4. If my memory serves me correctly, Cycle 2 tends to focus on world events during this time period, and Cycle 3 sticks with US History. Obviously there will be some overlap. TOG, on the other hand, is integrated US and World history throughout.

KristiK
06-09-2013, 12:00 AM
I've spoken to people who do combine CC and TOG, and I've looked into it. I'd love to join a Community, but the opportunity never presents itself, so we're just buying the Foundations materials and doing it at home ourselves. I know a lot more people who do that, so I know it's possible, just a bit of a time commitment. And, as someone above mentioned, you can align the history sentences to what you're actually studying. Much more flexibility.