PDA

View Full Version : LLC Online History - Year 2

Kim from Bethany, OK
01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I am looking into the possibility of enrolling my son in your online History class for next fall (2012). He will be 15 and in the 9th grade. He is currently doing TOG Year 1 this year. I've read through the LLC site, but would like further clarification. It is my understanding that the the History course is taught straight from the TOG history books and discussion questions. In addition, any literature books listed in the curr. would be read on the students own time and NOT discussed within the online course. Is it also correct that the only grade given by the instructor is a participation grade? Also, would it be likely that at the Rhetoric level the class could have students anywhere from the 9th to 12th grade in one class? I would appreciate any comments, opinions, strengths, weaknesses that can be given regarding these courses.
Thank you so much,
Kim

bspanier
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Kim,

Thank you for your interest in the LLC. I'll try to answer your questions.

The history courses are bases on the discussion script in the Tapestry curriculum. Teachers do have some flexibility and add in some games, debate, presentations, etc. The majority of the class is focused on Socratic discussion as seen in the curriculum. The students are given a discussion grade and parents are free to do what they wish with that grade. Some will add in Evaluations and/or an SAP grade and then combine them for a final grade for the transcript. Others might just take the discussion grade and put that on the student's transcript. We desire to partner with the parents on their homeschool journey and therefore we offer suggested discussion grades but leave the final grade up to the parent.

We offer literature, history, and writing courses. If a student is only taking our history course then he would do literature and writing at home. We have some students that only take one course, some that take two, and some that take all three courses with us.

Rhetoric classes are open to students aged 14 and up.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.