PDA

View Full Version : Confused- Looking for guidance

Jacbeaumont
02-14-2015, 08:58 AM
We started Primer in January. Just finished up MU1 week 2. I am having trouble as the Guidebook provides information and things to teach without taking into account what is actually included in the Illustrated Family Bible Stories. For example, the name changes of Abraham and Isaac are not included and I feel to add these on is confusing to a primer age child.
This happened a second time when we were encouraged to share how Isaac was told by God not to enter Egypt. This is not included in the bible stories.
In one place, not sure Guidebook or on the side notes for IFBS it says Abram means 'exulted father', and in another place it says Abraham means "Father of a multitude'. It might be more helpful if all this information is included in the guidebook to provide help for those that are learning a long with their children the truth of God's word. (I didn't understand the point of the name change until after our week had already been completed.) Also why Jacob was changed to Israel. Just to make it easier for us.... And how to incorporate into our discussions since the recommended bible does not include them.
I am also confused about some of the objectives that are given. For example in MU1, week 2, it says "Discuss how God's provisions for his people is part of what this story is about". I am not sure if I understand correctly. Does this mean how does God provide? As in God provided a ram for the sacrifice, a wife for Isaac? I know in a way some of the information in there for us but I think in the guidebook it should be more direct in explaining how to teach that directive.
Or am I confused as to what the primer is supposed to provide?

Don't get me wrong I LOVE Tapestry, and I love Primer. Maybe I am just not preparing enough before the start of the week? I was just under the impression that for Primer I could read the Guidebook, Have the resources and open up and read along with my child.

Sorry if I am rambling on....just having a tough time.
I'll try to read everything before hand and see if that helps me....

Any guidance or tips would be much appreciated!

Sharon Land
02-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi,

Do you read through all of your week-plan (Handbook and Guidebook) before you start your week? This would help you a lot as you would have your background information read and know a lot of the questions that you have before the week begins. The Primer Guidebook is equivalent to the teacher's notes in the Tapestry year-plans.

As far as the Bible, some things may not be complete in Children's Bibles. The reason is it simplifies the stories for little ones. You can add in information by reading a regular version of the Bible or as you said, if things seem a bit overwhelming for students such as the name changes, you could omit those for now. The importance of the name changes in the biblical stories is that when God changed their names it was for a specific purpose. Abram went from meaning exalted father, to Abraham meaning Father of a Multitude because by him all people of the earth are blessed and can come to know salvation.

I hope this information was helpful. Please feel free to message me with more questions or call me at 1-800-705-7487, M-F, 10am-4pm, EST

Jacbeaumont
02-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi,

Do you read through all of your week-plan (Handbook and Guidebook) before you start your week? This would help you a lot as you would have your background information read and know a lot of the questions that you have before the week begins. The Primer Guidebook is equivalent to the teacher's notes in the Tapestry year-plans.

As far as the Bible, some things may not be complete in Children's Bibles. The reason is it simplifies the stories for little ones. You can add in information by reading a regular version of the Bible or as you said, if things seem a bit overwhelming for students such as the name changes, you could omit those for now. The importance of the name changes in the biblical stories is that when God changed their names it was for a specific purpose. Abram went from meaning exalted father, to Abraham meaning Father of a Multitude because by him all people of the earth are blessed and can come to know salvation.

I hope this information was helpful. Please feel free to message me with more questions or call me at 1-800-705-7487, M-F, 10am-4pm, EST

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I did read both the handbook and the guidebook.

I tried this week to not only read, but write notes as well. I find I remember things more when I write them down.
It was definitely easier this week.

Thank you, again!