Thread: week 24 Victory on the Walls

Can anyone please share with me how they had a discussion on this book? Did you find any outside resources for discussing this? I found this book to be very DRY and hard to read, the grammar in it is terrible and it is very drawn out. Just wondering what others have used or are using for it.
    Thanks,

Hi!

We simply read Ezra and Nehemiah from the Bible before having our D daughter start this book. As she's reading, she'll jump up and say, "Mom! I just read about ... and it's like what we read in the Bible!" She did wonder, however, why the main character despised Jerusalem at the beginning of the story. As we chatted, she began to understand how tough it would have been for the Jews, especially the younger ones, to abandon their fairly comfortable lives to return to Judah. Even with older family members trying to keep their faith alive while in exile, people tend to identify more strongly with what they can see, hear, smell, etc. around them -- kinda like the peer pressure thing. We springboarded into a whole conversation about with whom or with what do we identify ourselves, is it worldly or Biblical, how can we keep our eyes on God even when He seems distant.

Hope that helps!
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Hi,

We really enjoyed reading Victory on the Walls in Y1. Like Monica shared, we thought it was a great choice for helping our children understand the Bible, the culture and what it might have been like to live during those times. If the teacher notes don't provide a script for a book discussion, we usually discuss the SAP and my children tell me what they liked or learned by reading the book. If it didn't work for you, just keep on truckin and don't get bogged down. There is so much great stuff to cover in Y1!

Blessings,
    Eia

Thanks so much for the feedback, that helps a bunch. Ela, could you please tell me what SAP stands for?

Sorry! SAP stands for Student Activity Page, which are the blue pages in Redesigned.

Grammar level students have a literature worksheet each week to review the story. Sometimes the sheet focuses on literary elements like character, setting, plot etc. Other times they are comprehension questions about the story. My child completes these pages every week and then we discuss the student pages when it's helpful to do so, but not every week.

At the Dialectic level, literature is similar. In Y1 I don't remember many times when the teacher notes included a discussion for the literature selection. The focus was usually on history and the Bible. So, we used the Student Activity Pages to review the book and discuss new terms and ideas. In later years (Y2 & Y3), there is more meat at the D level for literature. This has been great preparation for us as we will begin the Rhetoric level next year.

Rhetoric level has a full discussion for both history and literature every week, which is all laid out for you in the teacher notes. The reason I love TOG so much is that they have done so much of the prep work for me. I make use of everything they provide for me each week. Between the teacher notes and the Dialectic and Rhetoric discussion scripts, there is so much to discuss!

It's been 3 years since I covered Y1, but I think my explanation is true for all year plans. Leading a discussion takes practice for both you and your child. I found it much easier once we were in a co-op. A group is ideal if you have anyone traveling through TOG with you. However, we did have discussion for Y1 on our own and they went well. Just remember that you are both learning new skills and it takes a while to get in the groove. We don't do anything special, we just read the books suggested by TOG, the student answers the questions assigned in the student activity pages and then we discuss the material using the guide in the teacher notes.

Hope this helps!
    Eia