Thread: Grammar!! How much is too much?!?!?

I am having a very hard time figuring out how far to go with Grammar. I have used Rod and Staff all the way from 3rd grade, and now my DD is getting ready for the 8th grade year. I know that the end of grammar is to write well, and it seems like The 7th and 8th grade years for Rod and Staff might be a little overkill? My dd and ds are great at grammar, but I was wondering weather it might be easier to do EG. Since I haven't been able to look at it, I don't know how far it goes, or where I would even start in their books. I would like to focus a little more on actual writing this year, but I don't want to let those grammar skills fall behind too far and be forgotten. I hope this all makes sense to someone. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My son is 8th gr. & we've used EG since he was in 5th.
    The 8th gr. EG book has 1 pg. per day (takes 5-10 mins), so it's definitely not overkill. We had used a more intense program before, but it frustrated us both. Since switching, we've both been more content & his skill level has increased quite a bit.
    You may be able to actually look inside the book on either the Rainbow Resource or Amazon website.
    EG would definitely free up more time for writing.
    Hope this helps.

I have used EG for several years and love it. If I were in your shoes, and was looking at maintaining grammar skills while focusing on writing, I would consider Daily Grams. These are 5 min. drills ea. day to keep grammar skills fresh. I would then definitely concentrate on Writing Aids. EG has just recently expanded their curriculum, so they are going on through high school as well, by the way.
    Becky in OH

I agree with Becky that you might consider Daily Grams. I'm going to finish EG Plus and then try Analytic Grammar which is supposed to be different. It is spaced out over three years and isn't a TON.

Thank you all for your advice. I think that I will probably do either Daily Grams or EG. My last question is about diagramming. How important is it that they maintain that skill? Does EG or Daily grams do that? Just wondering. Thank you all.

EG doesn't diagram, but I haven't found that to be important. Having taught diagramming in classrooms, I actually prefer EG's approach of labeling the sentence. This keeps the sentence intact so they can see how the words work together as a whole.
    Becky in OH

I really like the philosphy of Analytical Grammar. The concept is 10 weeks of Grammar per year for a period of 3 years. This is because grammar is such a small body of knowledge and the usual method is to beat it to death. The lessons are explained well and the assignments are concise. I am also using the Junior AG for my 9 year old. There is a video on the website that explains it all in greater detail. I have been very pleased with it.

Originally posted by K Saufley:
    Thank you all for your advice. I think that I will probably do either Daily Grams or EG. My last question is about diagramming. How important is it that they maintain that skill? Does EG or Daily grams do that? Just wondering. Thank you all.
    One of the things Susan Wise Bauer discusses in her writing book is the idea that diagramming a sentence can get at why a sentence doesn't have anything wrong but just isn't very strong or dynamic.

You can read this online:
    http://www.peacehillpress.com/.../04-three-stages.pdf

(scroll down to page 10).
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Thank you all so much for your help. I have looked into the AG and am very interested in it. I do like diagramming - it has really helped my kiddos to understand grammar. This seems like a good halfway for me in between EG and Rod and Staff. Thank you all soo much. Crisis averted!