Thread: Combining weeks in Y1?

Hello . . . I'm in week 15 of Y1. I use the Digital Edition of TOG. I have two Lower-Grammar students. I need to combine two weeks into one, but do that 3 times from now till week 36. Does that make sense? Do you have any ideas on which weeks would be easiest to combine into one? E.g., week 20 and 21, or weeks 30 and 31, etc., etc. Thanks for helping me in my planning!

I'd look through the year plan for weeks with little or no readings at those levels. As I recall there maybe several such weeks in the second half of Year One for UG students.

We just went through that. Here's what we did.
    Week 16 & 17 combined
    Week 18
    Week 19-20 combined
    Week 21-22 combined
    week 23

We're on week 24 now and I don't plan to combine anything else for the rest of Unit 3. I still haven't looked into Unit 4. It was recommended to me that we combined the four weeks of Greeks into three and the same with Romans in Unit 4 but it was far easier to combine the other weeks in my opinion because there was so little resource material. We spread the Bible reading out into three segments a day.

Also, you may want to look into getting the book Usborne Ancient World. ISBN 0439785030 or 0794508162 This is not the Encyclopedia TOG lists for upper grammar. It's much more simplified and it was a great help for lower grammar with little resources available. Had great info on Hittites, Phonecians, Assyrians, Babylonians, and Persians.

I have seen several places that Marcia had put together a schedule for combining weeks in YEar one unit four. Does anyone know where I can access that info?

Thanks!

I can't find it on the forums or website or loom, but I did save it on my computer, so here it is:

Revised 5/10/07 by Marcia Somerville:

I felt like the LORD prompted me to offer this "How to condense Year 1 if you need to finish it" list. It can be done with the Roman unit. Here's how I would do it, off the top of my head. (I hope to refine this later for our website.)

Unit 4: In The Fullness of Time
    28 is "The Etruscans and the Founding of Rome"
    29 is "The Roman Republic: Everyday Life"
    30 is "The Roman Republic Expands: The Punic Wars"
    31 is "From Republic to Empire"
    32 is "Imperial Rome: Backdrop to the Atonement"
    33 is "The Zenith of Imperial Rome: Backdrop to the Early Church"
    34 is "Rome Decays: Saints and Martyrs of the Early Church"
    35 is "Christianity Conquers Rome: Of Church Hierarchies"
    36 is "Western Rome Falls: Theology and Church Councils"

You can easily combine CORE readings for these weeks for R levels (skipping in-depth except where noted below) and lose almost nothing in the process for HISTORY:
    Week 1 of condensed schedule: core readings for 28 + 29 into one week's study
    Week 2 of condensed schedule: core readings for 30 + 31 into one week's study (skip the assigned book on the Punic Wars unless your child is into the Punic Wars and can take a hefty reading assignment; he'll get the basic gyst from other core readings.)
    Week 3 of condensed schedule: core readings for 32 + 33
    Week 4 of condensed schedule: core readings for 34 + 35
    Week 5 of condensed schedule: core readings for 36 + Year 2 Week 1, if it's out from the printer (first week of June is expected ship date).

For R-level Lit:
    Week 1 of condensed schedule: read Aeneid and do assignment from Week 29
    Week 2 of condensed schedule: read Aeneid and do assignment from Week 30
    Week 3 of condensed schedule: read Aeneid and do assignment from Week 31
    Week 4 of condensed schedule: Literature readings + discussion from Week 32
    Week 5 of condensed schedule: Literature readings + discussion from Weeks 33 +34

For R-Level Church History (these get hefty towards the end)
    Many details of the early church are covered in the Holman Bible Atlas read for History core above. Add to this:
    Week 1 of condensed schedule: Gospel of Matthew readings/discussion from Weeks 28-30
    Week 2 of condensed schedule:Gospel of Matthew readings/discussion from Week 31-32
    Week 3 of condensed schedule: assignment from Church History in Plain Language from Week 33; optional: Acts + discussion
    Week 4 of condensed schedule: Church History in Plain Language from Week 34; optional: Galatians + discussion
    Week 5 of condensed schedule: Church History in Plain Language from Weeks 35 + 36; optional: Ephesians; 1-2 Thessalonians + discussion

LIFE happens; we know! Hope this helps us to finish the race well!
    Janet, wife to 1, mom to 10
    5 graduated, 2R, 2D, 1LG - doing Y3 again!

Thanks so much!