Thread: Combining Levels with More Read Aloud

We are finishing up Y2 now, but I have been making my plans for Y3. Prior to TOG I created my own literature based studies combining all of my children. I really like TOG but would like to read aloud together more. I know the Loom has some recommendations for combining levels, mostly in the Art & Activities. If anyone has other recommendations for combining LG, UG, and D I would appreciate them.

Blessings,
    jfurlough

President, Lampstand Press
    You can always combine books by choosing books for the middle level of your student range and doing read-alouds. Another variant on this is to have older students read aloud the books on their levels to younger students. What's tricky about combining levels are the fact that the vocabularies/details of resources may be over the heads of littles (thus turning them off to the topic) and/or when the littles become older, they balk at re-reading a book that they remember from four years earlier. If money is the issue, I would recommend using your library to find topic-specific books on each level as much as you can. We bought books for the D/R levels, reasoning that all our six kids would cycle through them, thus justifying the investment, plus the questions were specific to those levels. The younger kids could often profit from books not listed in the curriculum that were on our public library shelves, since the SAPs don't contain resource-specific questions on those levels.

HTH!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

I am also finishing up year 2. I read the Dialectic history out loud, because my D level daughter is a very slow reader, possibly dyslexic. I have actually used alternate resources in U2 & U3 because I love the Genevieve Foster books. We read them before (with my now R daughter) and I loved reading them again. There was plenty that I had forgotten, so I don't think it would be a problem for your younger ones to listen to a book and read it themselves later - repetition is great. You could also read lower-level books out loud if your D kid is doing great reading to themselves, or choose alternates to read out loud. By the way, I am crazy enough to read the regular D history and the Foster books out loud. We love it!
    Basically what we've been doing is history out loud, literature on their own, and we use History Portfolios for arts/activities and in place of history questions. It's working pretty well, but I'm hoping to incorporate more activities and questions from Tapestry in Year 3, which should be less intense portfolio-wise. I recently started having my UG read out loud to my D with some things. It freed me up for discussion with my R, and other stuff. I was going to have the UG and D take turns reading, but my youngest insisted she learned better doing the reading than listening. So she read the Galileo book out loud, and she's reading Colonial Living now. Reading alternates in addition to the other books ate up a lot of time, so that has helped a lot.
    I may not have been clear on the fact that I have 3 daughters - R, D, & UG. I hope this made sense and was some kind of help!

P.S. If your littles are very little, you can always give them a picture book or coloring pages related to the topic while you read. I think they can follow more than you might think sometimes, and exposing them to new vocabulary is great! I often stop when reading and ask if my kids understand something. If they do, they are commended for it; if they don't, I explain and they learn something new. Reading out loud is a treasure!