Thread: 1st and 2nd Printing

Is there a summary of the differences between the two printings somewhere? I have the 2nd printing of Unit 2 but the rest is 1st printing (hole punch issue). Will I have any trouble with The Loom?

Thanks!

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    Below I'll copy a post for you that I just wrote that explains the differences. And no, you shouldn't have any problems with the Loom. The disc you receive will have information for both printings if any part of your year-plan is first AND second printing.

There are certainly two printings of Year 2; your students are right about that. Here's what is different in the two printings:
    1. typos and formatting errors corrected
    2. updated Reading Assignment Charts and updated literature worksheets when necessary
    3. reformatting of the rhetoric literature in the Student Activity Pages

The good news for you is that anyone who owns a year-plan that has at least one unit that is the second printing will receive a disc that has the Student Activity Pages *and* the literature helps for both printings. Until you receive your disc, you can access these online.

Here's how the rhetoric literature has been reformatted:
    1. Week 1 is the ONLY one that has a different assignment in 2nd printing. We found that it is extremely beneficial to introduce some worldview concepts at the beginning of the year-plan instead of only reviewing them at the end of the year-plan.
    2. The questions in the Student Activity Pages are worded differently. The questions are more succinct and are more clear about what is being looked for.
    3. The Teacher's Notes have a different arrangement for beginning and continuing discussions. The continuing discussion section is now set off in a blue box.
    4. The content in the Teacher's Notes is the same, albeit rearranged in a more logical flow when necessary.
    5. The content of the rhetoric literature helps on the Loom is very close to the same. The second printing documents have been consolidated into two main documents: Poetics and Frameworks.

So, how should you handle this?
    1. As a teacher, it doesn't matter which printing you use to carry out discussions, except in week 1. For week 1, if you own first printing, you might want to borrow a friend's copy.
    2. If you have any students in your co-op that own second printing, use the Student Activity Pages from the second printing for all of your students, so that they will be working from the same thing. Use your disc (or someone in the co-op's) to print them if your disc only has first printing.
    3. It isn't a huge issue if someone reads from first or second printing literature helps since they are nearly the same. However, to be on the safe side, I'd suggest having them all read from the second printing documents.
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Dana,

I just recently received the Loom Disc for Y2 in the mail. Isn't there just one version of the Loom available for Y2? If this is true, wouldn't a co-op leader have the same SAPS and literature helps as recent purchasers? The actual pages in the year plan may differ, but all of the replacement pages and supports should be the same on the CD. Perhaps I misunderstood the post, but I just want to make sure I pay attention and know how to navigate this as we move forward in our group.

Thank you for walking us through all of this!
    Eia

Hi Dana,

I have the 1st printing of Y2 Redesign. I also have a Rhetoric student. I do not know anyone who has the 2nd printing to borrow from. What do I do?

Another question, I just ordered the Y2U1 Pop Quiz CD. How will THAT be affected by me owning the 1st printing?

Are there no plans to *update* 1st printing owners? It got changed so quickly.....

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Polly,
    Are you in a co-op? If so, please email me with that information.

If you aren't in a co-op, the 1st/2nd printing should not be an issue.

PopQuiz, Evaluations, etc. are not affected by the two printings.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

No, I'm not in a co-op.

So, my dd doesn't need to go on and start the worldview stuff too? She will just get it as a review?

Please forgive me if I am just plain confused. It is hard to follow all the rabbit trails and figure out exactly where I stand and what needs to be done! LOL!

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Polly,
    I understand why you could be confused! I commend you for staying on top of things by reading the forum!

Don't worry a bit about the worldview stuff; it is incorporated throughout the year-plan, and you'll find it in week 35 as well.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Thank you so much! And please, do not *hear* any irritation in my words! We took a little more time with Year 1 and as I have spent the weekend preparing for Year 2, I am overwhelmed with gratitude AGAIN at all the work that has gone into the TOG year plans. Every single person who has spent a MOMENT on this curriculum has been a BLESSING to we moms who are endeavouring to teach our children in this way!

God bless you all!
    Polly