Thread: Looking for encouragement, a plan

Last Year we attempted to do Year 1 ( I had 4 children at the time, now we have 5 - baby is 4 mo. old right now).

We were not successful. I felt like I was all over the place - trying to do everything perhaps and not getting much of anything done except for droning on and on in my Bible reading to the children.

DH is a preacher and not in favor of Bible "story books" - so I was trying to read all of the Bible assignments to the children. It was rough. We didn't get very far...maybe not even out of Unit 1 - I honestly don't remember.

I don't want to give up on Tapestry. My sister is using Tapestry and I've been talking to her about all of this. She said she couldn't have done it w/just using the Bible either - too much reading - especially to Lower Grammer.

The children are currently ages 8, 7, 5, 3 and 4 mos.

Help? Sigh.

For children that young, I would definitely use a children's Bible Storybook. Some weeks the reading is just so heavy that reading straight from a Bible young children are not going to absorb it all. Just try explaining to your husband that your children have their entire to be learning about the Bible. Right now, you would not want to be using long texts with a lot of words they might not understand because that could cause them to think "Oh, no. It's Bible time again." As they get older use more and more of the "real Bible". You would not expect a first grader to use high school math or science because it is too advanced, why is it not okay to use a Bible on their level?

Hope that is helpful to you.

Blessings,
    Kelli
    the only girl living in the Land of Boys
    Come visit us at http://mskelli.wordpress.com/

The first time we went through Year 1, I tried doing all the reading from an "adult" Bible -- and it got to be just too much.

So, we started listening to an audio Bible...we could listen over lunch, while folding laundry, etc.

Would your husband consider something like that??
    ~*Amy*~

"...Instead, I have called you friends...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last." John 15: 15 - 16

President, Lampstand Press
    Just so you know...

The reason we list Bible story books as reading assignments for littles in TOG Y1 is this very one. We know that busy moms can't possibly read it all aloud. Older students have the time to read large chunks of the Bible to themselves independently, but it's really hard to survey most of the Bible in 9 months aloud, especially to youngsters. While I appreciate your husband's stance on God's holy Word, the purpose for Bible story books is not to replace the Word, but to explain the plots of the Old Testament stories and events to young children in a way that they can understand it. I would make a distinction in your home between spiritual devotions and learning the story of the Bible--meaning, its plot. By all means, I'd recommend ongoing devotions from the full Bible with your young children, but for the survey presented in Tapestry, which seeks to show the unified story and message of the Bible--that mankind is sinful and that we all need a Savior; that the OT was preparation and the coming of Jesus its fulfillment--we feel that Bible story books have their place. Naturally, you and your husband are free to disagree. I'm offering this as a different take on the topic that you might present to him.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

I was another person who wanted to use my Bible, but quickly came to see the wisdom of using a story Bible.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim ~ Ovid
    For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison ~ Paul
    http://rivendellpress.wordpress.com/

Here's yet another possible way to do it
    Use an audio Bible- my little boys (8 and 10) loved listening to the Bible and we had several trips in the car this year so that made it possible to keep up on school work. My older daughter(14) preferred reading it herself but the little boys begged for more ..
    We did use the story Bible too- (we do prefer the Bible too and are a little picky about the story Bibles we choose but have been surprised how well DK has given the facts)One we typically use at home though is the one by Catherine Vos...

Just posted and realized AMY (my friend!) had posted the same with less words -ha!! So now you have two votes for Audio
    Sharie in Maine "Behold God is my helper. ..He will sustain me." Ps. 54:4

The DK Bible Story book actually uses text from the NIV. I liked this. It has more mature language in it, but still does a good job with the stories.

Also, if this did not work you could try to limit the Bible reading to just a few chapters of the most important parts. We did this a little. This does mean more work for Mom though.

Hope this helps
    Kristen

I just thought I'd add to this in case someone else has the same issues. My BIL is a pastor and he picks children's Bibles by the way the 'author' deals with Genesis 3. If they skip the fall he won't touch it. If they deal clearly with man's sin it is usually a good children's Bible. I know some children's Bibles really water down the gospel, (we got rid of one my MIL gave us), but other present the story of the Bible far more clearly to a child that an adult Bible could.
    Kylie (Homeschooling in Melbourne, Australia)
    TOG Year 3
    C (12, D)
    D (10, UG)
    J (4)
    K (2)

Here's another option I use in a Sunday School ages 0-11 years old.

I hand the ones who can sit down for 10 minutes a picture Bible and ask them to point to the important people in the story. The Picture Bible is a favorite. I don't use it to teach doctrine just to introduce people, events, culture, and most importantly curiosity.

The early readers I put on either side of me as I demonstrate how to look up a verse and have them treasure hunt to find one or two key words. ex. ( Abraham, Isaac, God, provide) and discuss how God provides.

The ones who read and can locate verses might be asked to read aloud several verses and relate the story to concepts in other books of the Bible.

For us the best children's BIBLE for readers that accurately follows the Bible has been Day by Day Kid's Bible by Karyn Henley.

May God show us how to honor our husbands and trust him to provide us wisdom in teaching His children.
    Amen

We use the Day by Day Kid's Bible too. It is a full Bible including the Epistles and Revelation and most of the OT. The main thing missing are things like Gen 34, 36 and 38. (Dinah, Geneology and Judah and Tamar). It is also chronological so things like Kings and the Prophets are mixed in together instead of in their separate books. There is a Bible order index if you are looking for something though.
    Kylie (Homeschooling in Melbourne, Australia)
    TOG Year 3
    C (12, D)
    D (10, UG)
    J (4)
    K (2)