Thread: Switching to DE? What are you doing with your printed TOG?

Hello friends-I own the redesigned print version of TOG, but I'm considering making the switch to DE. I understand that if I do that, then it will not be legal to resell my 'binder copies' of TOG. So now I am wondering what on earth you are all doing with your SHELF full of printed TOG? I just can't bring myself to toss it all into the trash!! Is there some way to donate them to a needy homeschool family? Any other suggestions?

President, Lampstand Press
    You may want to have both printed and DE copies, for a variety of reasons. You can mark up the Teacher's Notes, carry them with you to read on the go, give the printed workpages to kids with abandon,etc. There are other benefits as well.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Marcia, can you clarify something? If I bought Redesigned as a print version, but then some years later rebuy it as DE, I should still be able to sell or give away that print copy, right?

Just if I bought the combo print/DE, I wouldn't own the print version as a true printed version under US copyright law?

Can I have them please? I have been wanting to do TOG, but haven't made up my mind because it is costly and takes time to plan. However, the more I research about it, the more I am drawn to it.
    Thanks,
    Army
    Jade Orchid from Beijing
    Ds 7.5 Singapore 3A, R&S English 3, HWT Cursive, Sonlight 1, Sonlight Science 1, Chinese 2
    Ds5 HWT, ETC 6, Singapore 1A, SL 1, SL Science 1

Dear Army,
    I don't think she can even give them away due to copyright laws with the DE but I wanted to let you know TOG does have a scholarship program that provides discounts for some according to need contact customer service about applying.
    Deanna in WA
    Mom of 6

Yes Deanna, you are exactly right about that. I'm being advised that if I do make the switch, I shouldn't even GIVE away my printed copy. Interesting. Now I am curious to hear the answer to Pat's question. It makes sense to me that if one already owns the print version, then purchases the DE without claiming any discount, then there would be no restrictions on what can be done with the print version. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks to everyone who answered my question-I love this helpful group!!
    Stephanie

Originally posted by Stephanie Hall:
    Yes Deanna, you are exactly right about that. I'm being advised that if I do make the switch, I shouldn't even GIVE away my printed copy. Interesting. Now I am curious to hear the answer to Pat's question. It makes sense to me that if one already owns the print version, then purchases the DE without claiming any discount, then there would be no restrictions on what can be done with the print version. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks to everyone who answered my question-I love this helpful group!!
    Stephanie
    Yes, I think you are understanding my question. You've purchased two separate copies and the first should as a print only version adhere to copyright law, as I understand it. The second as a DE version will adhere to the computer/software side of copyright law which is written differently.

Maybe there is a missing variable, but you may also have been given bad advice or the person may not have understood that you owned one copy and would be buying a second copy.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

President, Lampstand Press
    Pat's correct. If you pay FULL price (or any price used) for a printed copy without any digital attachment (including a 1/2-price upgrade) you are free to sell the printed copy. Our current offered stand-alone print copies carry the same right. However, if you own print and use our discount to upgrade to DE capabilities for the same year-plan for half price, it becomes part of the digital/print package and is non-resaleable. The reason is that you are not repaying royalties, and thus we can offer the discount. You also do not have two copies of the Loom, and thus cannot sell the full program in print to another user. Thus, the print form of the curriculum becomes useful to you as a second copy/version and I outlined some uses of it above. MANY people buy DE/Print packages because they find that it's easier to have the full units printed out for them than to go through the time and trouble to print as they go. Others like printing only what they need when they need it. So, it's all according to personal preference, but any DE-associated printed copies may not be resold/given away without violating copyright laws.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Ok, now I understand the terms. I will still be researching about TOG until I can buy it. Thanks for the help.
    Jade Orchid from Beijing
    Jade Orchid from Beijing
    Ds 7.5 Singapore 3A, R&S English 3, HWT Cursive, Sonlight 1, Sonlight Science 1, Chinese 2
    Ds5 HWT, ETC 6, Singapore 1A, SL 1, SL Science 1