Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All About Spelling?? - and another LA question

A friend just told me about this program today -- and showed me a sample lesson. It looks very interesting.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used this and if they have any "advice". I'm trying to sort through the information on the website. I'm thinking I'll have to start with Level 1.

Also, if you've used this and it works well, what do you use for Grammar? Are there any similar or related Grammar programs? (We tried Easy Grammar and it just didn't "click" with my son.)

eta: my son just turned 10 and has always struggled with phonics/spelling/writing. I just <span class="ev_code_RED">now</span> figured out it maybe because of his learning style -- auditory kinesthetic. He is currently working on Christian Liberty Press's "Adventures in Phonics" Level B -- strictly workbook and the first 1/2 of the book is pure review. I think I'm going to skip ahead a little so I don't lose him...until I can get this figured out. I may "throw in" some games to keep him interested.

If anyone has any spelling or grammar suggestions, I'd love to hear from you...

Thanks!
    ~*Amy*~

"...Instead, I have called you friends...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last." John 15: 15 - 16

"BUMPING"...anyone??
    ~*Amy*~

"...Instead, I have called you friends...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last." John 15: 15 - 16

Hi Amy!
    Your 10yo son sounds exactly like my 10yo son!!

We started All About Spelling a little over a year ago, and it has made a world of difference with him. He can actually write a paragraph now that is not riddled with spelling errors. We are both so pleased!! AAS teaches phonics rules and uses movable tiles. When it comes time to write the spelling words for the unit, I have him do it on the dry erase board with a colored marker. That also seems to help. You will probably have to start with Level 1, not because the words are difficult, but because the rules taught all build on each other. My son zipped through Level 1, but it was definitely needed. He is now on Level 4. The author is very helpful and good at answering email questions.

I, too, have tried to use Easy Grammar with this son. Although it worked for the other 3 children I've used it with, it's not clicking with this one, as you say. I think I'm going to try Winston grammar with him. I understand it works well for a child who works best kinesthetically. I have not found their website to be overly helpful, but Cathy Duffy describes it in her "100 Top Picks" and I think the kids use movable tiles to label words with their functions.

Let me know if I can answer anything else! (Just when I thought I had it all figured out, I have a child with a different learning style. . . )

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply. Sometimes it just helps to hear from another mom who has gone through a similar situation.

Both AAS and Winston appeal to me -- I found Winston Grammar the other night and liked it immediately. I was struggling with the decision, though, because of the age/grade suggestion. Do you think I could still make it work -- we are just about to finish up BJU English 2...although I think I could have gone with BJU English 3 this year.

And, just when I thought I had heard of and tried just about every program out there, I find more!!
    ~*Amy*~

Winston appears to start at the beginning, so I wouldn't think it would matter what English program you have already completed. Again, I've not seen or used it; I'm just going from the descriptions I've read. I couldn't find an age suggestion, but for Basic it says 4th grade and up. I classify my 10yo as a 4th grader. My limited understanding is that Basic is what you start with if you have a child around the age of a 4th grader who has little understanding of grammar.

Is that what you were asking? Has anyone else out there used Winston and can help both of us?

Michelle

I "may" have answered our question:

Here's a link to a Basic Pretest that I found at the Winston website.

http://www.winstongrammar.com/BasicPretest.pdf

And here are the "instructions":

If you believe the child has a significant amount of basic grammar knowledge, administer the Basic Posttest. If the student does well, you will be able to successfully begin the Advanced Level Winston Grammar Program.

And, here's a link to the FAQ section regarding placement:

http://www.winstongrammar.com/faq8.php
    ~*Amy*~

The pretest and posttest look very similar. My student couldn't do well on either the pretest or posttest. "Pretest" doesn't mean that you have to be able to do well on it to be placed in the basic level, does it?

I'm going to email them and see what answer I get. I'll let you know!
    Michelle

I emailed Winston Grammar and asked about the purpose of the pretest for the basic level. Here is the response I received:

Don't worry about the pre- or post-tests. Your son needs to start with the Basic Level. The pre-test is really for screening students who have been in regular school in 7th or 8th grade. Some schools are on the "pre-college" track in grade school and are really advanced. Or some parents think the student knows more than they really do and the pre-test gives a concrete affirmation that using the Basic Level is best. At 10 yr old, there is not a question. Most of grammar is too abstract for children less than 10 yrs old. That's the best time to start.

That's what I thought; the whole term "pre-test" threw me because I was reading it more as "placement test" and that's not really what it means.

Michelle

OK, that's good to know!!

I'll take another look at Winston Grammar as it is my first choice.

Thank you!!
    ~*Amy*~

I have a 13 yo son who has always struggled with spelling. We've tried Spelling Power, Sequential Spelling, The Phonetic Zoo, and Apples -- all of these proved unsuccessful. So, last fall I googled something like "multisensory spelling" and found All About Spelling! What a blessing it has been! AAS is multisensory, totally scripted for the teacher, and based on the Orton-Gillingham method. It also employs daily review of phonograms, spelling rules, etc. It has made spelling more of a formula than a memorization, and this has been so beneficial to my son. We both love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast