Thread: LG/UG and the Trivium

I am wondering how to be more intentional about incorporating the trivium with my LG and UG students. The LG and UG plans seem under developed when compared to the wonderful discussions in the D and R stages. I am specifically wondering about science, memory work, and music theory.

Hi there. Do you mind expanding on what you mean by 'trivium?' My understanding is the trivium is the three-stage method of learning:

1. Grammar stage - absorb information
    2. Logic stage - link facts and causes
    3. Rhetoric stage - express conclusions

source: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/classical-education/

With this definition, we have found TOG does a great job within the trivium's intent for LG. Our DS loves all the neat facts he is absorbing through different learning modalities. Discussions at D and R level should not be expected at LG and UG levels...just focus on filling their head.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world"
    -- God through Paul to the church in Rome

www.someyoungs.blogspot.com

By "trivium", I meant a more specific memorization schedule for the lower and upper grammar students...the dialectic discussions are great. "...let us look at the grammar stage more completely. Simply defined, it is the learning of the body of knowledge of a subject, and most classicists would agree that this is best done by memorization." -http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/trivium.html

I realize there is some flexibility lost with a rigid memorization regimen, but I feel like I need more structure or at least some guidance in this area. I really enjoy TOG but would like some help in this area.

Thanks for asking me to clarify. I often think I am crystal clear, when in fact...I am as clear as mud to the "listener".

I'm not sure this is helpful, but I'll try. First I think you have to decide what you want memorized. You could memorize important dates, people, places, famous quotes but of course you can't do it all. So far we only memorize scripture and poetry. We will memorize states/capitals and presidents when we get there (we are just starting Year 2). I haven't decided beyond that yet. I have heard that it is more interesting to kids to memorize people rather than dates since people are more meaningful. If you haven't read it you might want to check out The Well Trained Mind. Your library probably carries it and they have some ideas for History memory work broken down by time period. I hope that helps a little.
    Tracy
    Mom to 5 kiddos age 2-9

Hello, Crystal!

This is not an answer to your question at all, but a question for you. I have a friend in Louisville who used Tapestry and I think she would love to know of others in that area who do, too. I'm not sure the best way to contact each other, or even if you'd like to do that
    but I'll give my email and you can decide. = )

Peggy
    peggyadams22@gmail.com

Years Later....

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal from Louisville View Post
    I am wondering how to be more intentional about incorporating the trivium with my LG and UG students. The LG and UG plans seem under developed when compared to the wonderful discussions in the D and R stages. I am specifically wondering about science, memory work, and music theory.
    Hello,
    I know it was a long time ago that you posted this, but I am in the position right now after one semester of doing TOG where I feel the same way. We did Classical Conversations for 3 years and my 2 oldest children (now 11 and 9) benefited greatly from all of the memory work. I really want my other 4 (ages 4, 5, 6, and 7) to have memory work that corresponds to our TOG studies, but I haven't exactly figured out how that will look. How did you end up handling this?
    Thanks
    Rachel

One thing to use to pull the memory work from is on page 6 of your weekly plan. On that page you'll have people and vocabulary to work with if you desire memory work.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Marie View Post
    Hello, I really want my other 4 (ages 4, 5, 6, and 7) to have memory work that corresponds to our TOG studies, but I haven't exactly figured out how that will look. How did you end up handling this?
    Thanks
    Rachel
    Rachel,

Another option is to utilize the history sentences and timeline from CC (which you are undoubtedly familiar with) and line it up with the week plans. I did this one year -- I think it was for Year 2 (and part of Year 3), and it worked well. It certainly was not at the intensity of a CC community -- but I wasn't interested in duplicating CC's pacing, just using the material to augment what we were doing with TOG. Sometimes I needed to "peek" at the D level topics to help place the sentences, but in all it worked quite well and the kids learned a lot.
    Alane

homeschooling 3 boys: 12, 9, and 6
    Veteran of year 1, 2 and on to year 3 with Dialectic & LG students

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. ~Galatians 6:9