Thread: Easy Grammar vs. Daily Grams?

I used Easy Grammar 2 with my son last year and he loved it. I'm ready to move on to Grade 3, but find there are now 3 books: teacher manual, student workbook, and daily grams. What is the difference between Daily Grams and the Student workbook - and do I need to purchase both?
    Thanks,
    Carol

Hi!

Daily Grams are a quick review of material that has already been taught. The regular Easy Grammar program teaches new material with sufficient practice to master it. The entire contents of the student workbook is also in the teacher book. The student worksheet page usually faces the very same page with the answers filled in. Also in the teacher's guide are "teaching tips" -- I've never found them to be anything I wouldn't have figured out on my own. You could just use the student workbook. Or, you could use just the teacher book by either copying the student worksheets (A LOT of copying!) or just by covering up the page with the answers on it and letting the student fill in the blank student page. If you want to keep the teacher's book to use with another student, just slip a page protector with two adjacent sides slit open onto the student page and let the student write on it with a dry erase marker.

Enjoy!
    Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks Monica! Your insight is helpful.
    So, is it necessary to get the Daily Grams, too? Or is it redundant with the lessons in Easy Grammar?
    Thanks,
    Carol

Cathy Duffy's review at http://www.cathyduffyreviews.c...ion/easy-grammar.htm or in her book Top 100 Picks explains the difference in Daily Grams and Easy Grammar and when to use them.

She says,
    (Easy Grammar)Books are very repetitive from year to year, so I would suggest using one of these no more than once every two years.
    Daily Grams are great for the in between years to keep grammar skills sharp.
    We have followed her suggestion but use Easy Grammar about every third year with Daily Grams in the off years.

Also note that in Daily Grams the answers are in the back of the teacher's book instead of on the page across from the student page. I think this makes it even easier to just order the one book.

Blessings,
    jfurlough

My experience w/ Easy Grammar and Daily Grams lends me to say that Daily Grams is not necessary unless you have a struggling student. We have used EG w/ our sons through the elem. grades and this yr. I am only using DG w/ my oldest (7th grade) b/c EG covered the basics so throughly. I feel all he needs is that 5 min. review ea. day.
    Becky in OH

Originally posted by John 8:32:
    My experience w/ Easy Grammar and Daily Grams lends me to say that Daily Grams is not necessary unless you have a struggling student. We have used EG w/ our sons through the elem. grades and this yr. I am only using DG w/ my oldest (7th grade) b/c EG covered the basics so throughly. I feel all he needs is that 5 min. review ea. day.
    I agree with this. I think Daily Grams were developed when Easy Grammar had material that didn't fill a full year. Now that the material easily fills a year, I'd skip Daily Grams.

The teaching book makes it a ton easier to grade the assignments and I suspect that buying the workbook is cheaper than making copies.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions. I think I will follow your advice and just do the Easy Grammar books for this year.
    God bless,
    Carol