Thread: writing, grammar, spelling, and possibly Latin- too much! I need a plan.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with figuring out our language arts program. I have an 8 yr old, advanced reader, but struggles with writing and spelling. I've also been interested in studying Latin to help with understanding English and other languages better. But I don't want to overload and discourage him. Any suggestions?

Kara,

Last night I was reading through the General Introduction found on The Loom that says TOG recommends waiting until 7th to 9th grade to begin Latin. (The Loom General Introduction to Year 1, page 24) I would second this.

I like the Easy Grammar series recommended by TOG, but we do not use it every year. I think the sections of Easy Grammar on punctuation and capitalization are the most helpful for grammar level students.

Although I use some IEW and TOG writing assignments, in the grammar levels I assign copywork more than original composition.

We use Sequential Spelling beginning in about 3rd grade.

Blessings,
    Jill

I'm assuming this is a boy since you say your child struggles w/ writing and spelling. Forgive me if I'm wrong (I'm the mother of 2 boys!). We use Easy Grammar and I've actually used their other subjects to glean spelling words (we've already gone through phonics,so that's not an issue - I just apply the phonics rules to the words they're misspelling). We have started and stopped w/ Latin for a couple of years - mostly b/c of time and lack of planning on my part, I guess. I've decided to not fret about it and talked to them about doing Latin in the summer when our thoughts are so fractured w/ other subjects. I've also been reading Teaching the Trivium by the Bluedorns and have found it helpful in putting things in perspective.
    Becky in OH

I will second Easy Grammar. I like Spelling Power for spelling. They don't have to study words they know how to spell. It also places them by them not by grade.

We've used http://www.classicalacademicpr...com/lfc_primers.html with my oldest. But he is a strong reader and okay with grammar. I would hold off on Latin until the child is confident in their own language (I've just been thinking about this in regards to my 9 yo) . There are studies that show bilingual children or children taught in a second language first are less adept than those with one language so I suspect that if a child is struggling introduction of another language may be a mistake.

For writing you might check out this article:
    http://www.peacehillpress.com/...hy-writing-fails.pdf
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Thanks for all your insights! I really appreciate it. (and yes, I have 3 boys!) I have been looking at Easy Grammar, Spelling Power, and then some!!! Your head can really swim.
    I just recently came across "The Three R's" by Ruth Beechick. The writing section has really got my wheels turning. I think I'm going to take a big leap and try teaching them by her natural method using our curriculum literature or other readings. Maybe I'll try the Latin Road to English Grammar later. We'll see how it goes
    Thanks again!