Thread: Questions about Rhetoric Courses

HI Barb,
    I'm hoping I can clearly articulate my question without coming across as critical of LLC. I'm not trying to critique LLC and the offerings or pricing there at all. In fact, I'm so excited about this new resource. But I'm having some hesitations as we enter the Rhetoric stage with our oldest daughter. I'm going to try and express them here and maybe you (or others) can help me process through them.

It is my understanding that the Rhetoric stage is more about ideas than about the facts of history. It is helping our children begin to engage with those ideas with the goal being understanding our current civilization and how we/they fit into it. Therefore, history readings and literature readings go hand-in-hand as a means to accomplish that goal.

With that said, since History and Literature are offered as two separate courses, will they be taught, to some extent, in a vacuum, without any connection with one another? (Here's where I'm afraid I'm sounding snarky. Please know that I don't mean to sound that way!!) Of course, it's possible that some families would choose (and also have the financial means) to enroll their student in both. However, since many families probably can't afford that option, it's probably not safe to assume history students will also be enrolled in the literature course. So will the history be taught completely independently of the literature of the period? And vice versa? It seems impossible to teach the Ancient Literature without also interweaving some discussion of that culture? KWIM?

I guess I'm trying to understanding how they will stand alone when they really should be so interdependent for our rhetoric students.

Clear as mud??

Thanks for helping me out!!

Martha
    Beginning cycle 3 with 1 off to college, 1 in Rhetoric, 1 in Dialectic, and our five year old along for the ride.

It is my understanding that the Rhetoric stage is more about ideas than about the facts of history. It is helping our children begin to engage with those ideas with the goal being understanding our current civilization and how we/they fit into it. Therefore, history readings and literature readings go hand-in-hand as a means to accomplish that goal.

Martha,

Absolutely! At Lampstand Learning Center we believe this 100% and we aim to be true to the Tapestry of Grace Curriculum. If you notice on our website under CLASSES on the right hand side we have this statement:

Due to the nature of the Tapestry of Grace curriculum if your child is enrolled in the Church History, Literature, Writing, Government, or Philosophy courses, your child needs to be either enrolled in one of the LLC History classes online or studying Tapestry History on a schedule that parallels ours.

LLC, as part of Lampstand Press, wholeheartedly believes in the parallel studies that Tapestry of Grace is all about. We will be true to the discussion scripts that you find in the curriculum. The literature discussion are dependant on the students knowing and understanding history. We have even gone so far in our scheduling to offer students that are taking History and Literature with us the opportunity to have their history discussion before they have their literature discussion.

I hope this answers your question and if not please give me the opportunity to readdress it. Also, you didn't sound "snarky." This is part of a new journey for all of us and we know there will be lots of questions. In fact, the questions are GOOD. They help us rethink how we stated things and possibly come up with a better way to communicate with you all.
    Blessings,

Barb

Barb Spanier
    Director
    Lampstand Learning Center
    bspanier@llc.tapestryofgrace.com

Yes, this helps tremendously. Obviously, I hadn't read the LLC website closely enough! Sorry, it must be information overload! Thanks for your helpful answer.
    Beginning cycle 3 with 1 off to college, 1 in Rhetoric, 1 in Dialectic, and our five year old along for the ride.

One more (hopefully easy) question, just to be sure I understand.....

The Rhetoric History class will follow the discussion out line as well as the Teaching/Accountability Questions. There will be no written assignments. Correct?

Thanks, Barb.

Martha,

The history dicussions will follow the discussion scripts which are based on the Teaching/Accountability questions.

There will be no written work submitted for the history classes.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I hope to see you at one of the open house sessions next week.
    Blessings,

Barb

Barb Spanier
    Director
    Lampstand Learning Center
    bspanier@llc.tapestryofgrace.com