Thread: Dropping or combining a few weeks?

We're on Week 17 this week and I'll likely need to drop or combine 2 or 3 weeks between now and end of our academic year. Any suggestions about weeks that would work well if combined?

Thanks!

Martha
    In TOG Year 2 (our second cycle through) with 2 rhetoric and 2 upper grammar students....and a toddler along for the ride!

Martha, I'm not much help, but I believe week 36 is mostly review - so there is a week you can cut if you need to!
    Blessings,
    April

The week on statehood for Israel - Week 18 : A Jewish Homeland - can be made "light" by not assigning the Week 18 Supplement at that time - especially if your high school student has done some studies on the history of the Middle East recently. I believe that Supplement Week 18 info can be added into a later week that focuses on the Arab/Israeli tensions at a later period.

If you look at Week 20 - China focus - the "In Depth readings" would be viewing the video "To Live." That didn't take as much time as the usual in-depth readings - even with the normal history discussions that follow.

Weeks 25 and 26 might be good to combine b/c Week 25 has web site research for photos of special events from the days of JFK/LBJ/Space Race and that seemed to take a lot less time than the usual "In-Depth" readings for a single week. Also, we're just starting Week 26 and the overall assignments in the Reading Assignment Chart appear much lighter than typical. So, weeks 25 and 26 might squeeze together well.

Lastly, you might want to check the Literature suggestions for cutting and trimming in weeks 18 to 27 and take advantage of information there.

Just some ideas,

Beth Ann

Thank you. These are very helpful ideas.

Martha
    In TOG Year 2 (our second cycle through) with 2 rhetoric and 2 upper grammar students....and a toddler along for the ride!