Thread: Calculus

Can anyone recommend a calculus program or refer me to an on-line school that you have actually used for calculus?

My oldest son will be a senior next year. We thought he'd take calculus at the local community college, but there are only two teachers and neither one sounds desirable (for different reasons).

In my research I've noticed a few on-line "schools" for home schoolers that offer AP Calculus (either the AB, BC, or both) but I'd like a referral.

Thank you!

Ellen

Originally posted by Ellen in NJ:
    Can anyone recommend a calculus program or refer me to an on-line school that you have actually used for calculus?

My oldest son will be a senior next year. We thought he'd take calculus at the local community college, but there are only two teachers and neither one sounds desirable (for different reasons).

In my research I've noticed a few on-line "schools" for home schoolers that offer AP Calculus (either the AB, BC, or both) but I'd like a referral.

Thank you!

Ellen
    I have a friend who has used:
    http://www.pottersschool.com/

for many years and loves it. I don't know if they offer calculus or if they have openings.

Ellen,

Did Potter's School work out for you? If not I would recommend Saxon Calculus. My oldest worked through that his senior year and did well with his college calculus classes. Saxon says it prepares you for the Calculus AB AP exam. D.I.V.E. Into Math has a teaching CD for the Saxon book that runs $50.

Hope this helps.
    Sharon
    Wife of David, Mom of Nathan (24), Mandie (23), Meg (16), Zeke (14), and Ike (12)

Thank you for your replies.

I have used The Potter's School, but not for math. They describe their calc course as "rigorous and fast paced." It is the AP Calc BC option which covers Calc 1 & 2. I'd prefer the slower paced AP Calc AB option which only covers Calc 1.

I have never used Saxon or seen the DIVE CDs, so I went to their site. It looks like a possibility. Yeah! Another friend emailed a similar help for Saxon called "Teaching Tapes." This company also has a demo posted on their website, but they are considerably more expensive.

Again, thank you for the recommendations!

Ellen

One idea would be to check with Switched on Schoolhouse. My 10th graders are finishing up with Geometry this year. They provide great technical support and I believe they have an online program.

Hi Ellen,
    My son is using Thinkwell Calculus this semester, and we are very pleased with it. He only has time for a semester (we took 3 semesters to cover Chalkdust PreCalc). The program is pricey, but I got a great deal on it through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. Essentially, you get a one year subscription to access the lectures and exercises (with solutions) and tests on-line. The course covers Calc 1 and Calc 2. My son will complete most of Calc 1 by the end of May. Plus, he will continue to have access to the lectures while he is in his freshman year of college (1st semester, anyway) - a benefit while he is adjusting to the pace of college work. You can see samples of the lectures on-line at Thinkwell.com.
    Hope this helps!
    April