Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just looking for an encouraging word

Alright, I've got the entire Year 1 lined up on my shelf (it looks very nice there ), and I'm almost completely set for our next year. But now I'm worried I've been hasty. We've done Sonlight P3/4, 4/5, and K (sort of). Actually I've set the ig for all of them aside, and we just read. That's a part of why I'm switching to ToG. The thing is, I'm worried I'm a "curriculum junkie". They all sound so perfect. I really believe Tapestry is the way the Lord is leading us...I've believed that for years, just been waiting for the time to be right. But I'm so scared that I'm switching now because of the winter blahs homeschooler's feel, or because I'm pregnant and dissatisfied with everything lately. I don't know what answer I'm looking for here...just needed to vent to some who may understand
    Mom to Lydia (5), Isabel (3), Faith (1), and someone new (we'll meet face to face in September)

Wow, I'm impressed that you are all set up for next year. I can't speak to how TOG will compare to Sonlight from experience, but we are working our way through Year 1 and enjoying ourselves. You said that you believe Tapestry is where you've been led, so believe it!! I believed that for a long time too and finally bought year one late last summer, so getting set up was hurried and incomplete. You are ready! You will have a great year!
    Laura
    Mom to Seth (15), Rebecca (13), Thaddeus (11), Matthew (8), David (6), Noah (3) and Kirsten Ruth (born 5/16)

Thanks! I am very excited for next year. My dd won't be 6 until July, so I don't want to rush into TOG, but I am just certain that once we begin, it'll be great! The more I explore and learn, the more I'm convinced we are in the right place.
    Mom to Lydia (5), Isabel (3), Faith (1), and someone new (we'll meet face to face in September)

President, Lampstand Press
    The thing is, I'm worried I'm a "curriculum junkie". They all sound so perfect. I really believe Tapestry is the way the Lord is leading us...
    As a former curriculum junkie and a person who second guesses myself almost daily on major life decisions, I sure can relate.

For me, the surest anchor in my hothouse of female emotions is my DH. When we make a decision in prayer and in faith, he helps remind me that that's what we decided, and uses his two powerful mantras: 1) stay the course and 2) it's going to be OK. (The latter is based on the gospel: God is good and is working all things together for His glory and our good. ALL THINGS... Romans 8:28-31... my rock!)

When I was younger, I thought, "I've done all the research, and know all the details, and do all the teaching in homeschooling, so how can Scott help me with this quandary?" I've learned, however, that God has given Scott a very reliable spiritual compass, and that, when all the details "on the ground" distract and confuse me, his general sense of direction for me, and for our family, are more reliable than my first-hand grasp of the details of the situation. He sees the forest while I am stuck examining the bark on the trees and feeling hopelessly lost. I believe this is God's gift to wives: the leadership of our husbands, and that submission to their direction can be taken by faith to be God's word to us women, who are often so tossed by our minds, our emotions, and our hormones.

With all that said, I'll ask the obvious question, "What does your husband say about it?"
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Well, my dh is growing into his leadership role at home. But he's still hesitant about it in some aspects, school being one of them. We are in Bible study together, and it was there we heard about "assumptive language". I told him that the instant I heard that, I thought of ToG. I want my daughter's to think. And so, he gave his blessing...he wants that, too. I'm not sure if he feels he needs to research, like I have, or if he should just trust me (a good idea? not always ) But, as long as I'm not spending an outrageous amount, I think he feels I'm handling it ok.
    Perhaps I need to be more open and honest with him, asking for his input. I do need it, but, like I said, he shies away from it. Prayer has worked wonders in our lives. He's grown so much into his role in so many areas...maybe he'll become stronger in this, too, as I pray for him?
    Thanks, Marcia, for bringing this up for me...I know I haven't been seeking his opinion like I probably should. I just haven't faced that yet.

You're most welcome!

When I was about 30, our church at the time did an extended teaching on women asking their own husbands at home. They told all the ladies to ask only their husbands for direction--not other ladies, not pastors, not friends, just their own husbands. We all supported one another in this endeavor (it was a small church) and we grew amazingly as wives and husbands during this season. The men realized how much their wives' real respect for and obedience to their dictums mattered to them--the more we simply trusted God that He had spoken to us through our husbands, and did what they said, the stronger and bolder the men became as leaders. It was amazing! We women learned that God is able to speak through our husbands, even when they don't master details. We also learned that we could tear down our husband's leadership by constant questioning, doubting, and revisiting previous decisions.

The bolder (and correspondingly more successful) the men became, the more interested they also became in mastering details and in leadership in the home in general, and the more we women trusted both God and them. It was a beautiful thing. Our marriage was forever changed by the experience.

In my observation (mostly of myself ) two things (that wives can choose to change without anyone else helping) prevent us from enjoying the protection that God intends for us in our husbands:

1. Pride: we focus on what they don't know, what we do know, and how they might err. Thus, we give way to fear, speak our doubts, and short-circuit the grace of our husbands' leadership. See 1 Peter 3:1-6.

2. Unbelief: we don't trust God that He can/will speak to us through our husbands, and protect us, even if our husbands are foolish. See the story of Abigail and Nabal for an example of this truth!

I can recommend the book The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace as a simple yet effective encouragement on this issue.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

--Charles Spurgeon

having used Sonlight and moved to TOG this school year...I can say this curriculum has the elements I wanted in Sonlight when I was using it. There are so many more choices for hands on elements that I don't have to spend my time searching out. Don't get me wrong I loved Sonlight the books were amazing and we really enjoyed them but the flexability of not spending hours a day reading aloud has brought so much freedom to our home. I feel like there is much more picking and choosing available and the Writing Aides is a superior product to boot. just my humble opinion.

I just wanted to say thank you Marcia for your post. I look to my husband for advice - then I call my mother and my best friend and see what they have to say. I am going to challenge myself to put more trust in my husband. He spent a lot of time with me last weekend looking at math curriculum with me and really felt strongly about using CLE. I have spent the week since second guessing him and haven't even thought about it. Thank you so much.

ETA: Sorry July girls for getting off topic.
    Tracy
    Mom to 5 kiddos age 2-9

Tracy: You are, of course, most welcome! I'm glad the Lord reminded you of HIS wisdom and grace for you in the covering and leadership of your husband through me. I'll pray for you as you challenge yourself!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

--Charles Spurgeon

July girls-- Your post made me smile. For our first 7 years of homeschooling, we used Sonlight and loved it so much, that I would go to homeschool conferences and not even go into the vendor hall! Just didn't even know what else was out there. (I have to say it was a happy place to be.) But as our family is growing and SL is no longer working for us, WOW! There is a lot out there!! I have questioned myself in the same way as I keep finding the "perfect thing." But I would encourage you a just relax and enjoy the journey. Seeing that your oldest is just 5 makes me smile. These beginning years are what I call "practice years" anyway. Just have fun and follow as the Lord leads. I was so stuck in the beginning on finding the "one curriculum" that we could use all the way through and never ever change! Well, I can say the SL was it for 7 years, and it was a good run. But change is good, too, sometimes. It keeps things from getting too stale.

And on a final (and maybe most important)note: From one who has lived through 5 "9-months-of-feeling-like-a-crazy-woman" pregnancies..... While pregnant is NOT the time to analyze anything!
    \
    Daughter of the King
    Wife to my manly man, Jeremy
    Mama to Jeth (13), Naomi (10), Abel (6), Judah (4), Amos (2) and...Wee Wee Wee One... not much bigger than a precious dot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast