Thread: Modern Revivalism

Has anyone found a good replacement for this book? I find it to be difficult and boring. Church history is way too important to allow them to be turned off by this dry presentation.

I don't see any comments. Am I the only one who thinks this?

MODERN REVIVALISM IS THE BOOK WE ARE NOT ENJOYING.

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Randi,
    You might consider following the Dialectic Church History track if you don't care for the Rhetoric one....just one idea.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

President, Lampstand Press
    Ladies,

Can I make a plug for this book? In planning and writing TOG, I read this book cover to cover. It was a quandary for me as the curriculum author whether or not to include it in the book lists and assignments because it IS long and detailed. So, I'm sympathetic there with you! I wish I'd had the freedom to edit it down to about half the text.

BUT, that said, the book is extremely valuable for giving us a clear picture of the long, slow slide in this country from a society that believed in and relied on the authority of Scripture to one that no longer does. The process was long and detailed, and took YEARS. So, the book needs to be detailed in order to be honest.

An idea for this book (and the whole CH Rhetoric track for Year 3, which IS challenging) is to read and discuss it as an in-depth unit in summer months after Year 3. Students will have a context for the book by then and only a couple of chapters will remain to fit into Year 4 (I'd save those for the weeks in Year 4 in which they're assigned.)

I did not LOVE this book initially in terms of readability, but once I accepted it for what it was (a detailed description of the secularization of American society as reflected in a detailed history of revivalism in this country) I came to believe that it is HIGHLY valuable.

Just my $.02.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

I don't know of another book that would serve the same purpose as this one - detailing
    the long, slow slide in this country from a society that believed in and relied on the authority of Scripture, [to] one that no longer does.
    My dss did not particularly enjoy reading this book, but our discussions each week were fruitful.

I think the best option (if you don't want to use Modern Revivalism) is to use the Dialectic church history track. The Rhetoric track includes more biographies in Year 4.

HTH,
    Susan in La
    Mom to 18yods (ToG graduate), 17yods (R), 15yodd (R), 13yodd (D)
    Redesigned 2