Thread: History Core, Rhetoric Weeks 14-17....

This is my first time posting. This is my 6th year using TOG...started with Classic YR 3 and have been moving up through the Redesigned as they are being published....which by the way are wonderful. My comment/suggestion/question has to do with the History Core selection for the Rhetoric level used in weeks 14-17 (World War II coverage). The comment actually comes from my 18 yr son who loves history, especially anything pertaining to warfare. He was disappointed with the selection of the Stephen Ambrose book, The Good Fight: How World War II Was Won. He told me that he thought it was more of a book for the UG level, that it didn't have too much information or content, especially to answer some of the Accountability and Thinking level questions and going through our discussion time this week for Week 17 I have to agree with him. He really loved the H.P. Willmott book that was used for WW I published by DK. After looking at our libary's catalog I noticed that Wilmott also wrote one on WWII. So my question is, why didn't TOG use this book or some other with more content? He loves Albert Marrin and has several of his books, so he enjoyed reading through those again pertaining to this time in history, but was disappointed with the Ambrose book. When first starting with TOG I know that it was not to be book specific, but general topic. But as the Redesigned years have come out, they have become book specific because of the AQ's & TQ's and evaluations having questions tied to them. Just a thought.

Monika in WI

I read this post and decided to ask my 14yr. old Rhetoric son, who sounds like he has similar interests, what he thought of the book. Without knowing my reasons, he said "It was more of an Upper Grammar book really. I ended up reading the Usborne book (dialectic level) to get most of my info." He also liked the Wilmott book from WWI. So, I would also be interested to know if anyone has looked at the Wilmott book (or some other) from WWII to know if it is worth adding in next time around because it sounds like this one may not be adequate.
    Thanks,
    Laura

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi ladies,
    We chose the Ambrose book because we purposefully are focusing more on the leaders than on the battles (You'll continue to see this throughout Y4). Thus, the biographies. However, of course, they need *some* background information about what was going on during the war as they examine and evaluate the leaders. And thus, Ambrose. We felt that it was a good balance with all of the other assignments. Yes, the book is a bit easier than others used for Rhetoric level, but it fit the bill perfectly! And, just so you'll know, all of the Accountability and Thinking questions *are* answered with the core and in-depth books.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4