Thread: Warning About Read Aloud for Week 19 and20

I am reading So Far From the Bamboo Grove with my 8th grade son. In the book, there is repeated discussion about rape. The mother and her 2 daughters witness it and the 2 daughters have to appear to be boys to avoid this happening to them. It is a very interesting book, but you might want to think ahead of time what you might want to say when you get to these parts, particularly if you have younger children.

Deanna

Yes, I would agree that there are certain parts of this book that brought a few raised eyebrows. I just read tonight in ch. 2, the incident of the dead baby being thrown from the train - my 10 yr. old dd said, "They did WHAT?" I explained that, especially in war time, horrible atrocities happen. We have sinful, fallen human nature. Painful and hard for our hearts to bear, but I do feel it wasn't exploited or overly dramatized. It's an interesting story.

Question: I can not figure out where the 3rd week for this read aloud falls? My print copy has us reading it in wks. 19 and 20. I've checked my DE version and it's the same. What am I missing?

Thanks, Laurie
    "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Ps. 19:14

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    You've found an error that we will be correcting soon. This is a two-week book that just needs to be divided evenly over weeks 19 and 20. Sorry for the confusion.

And, when we do the next update, I'll take another look at this book for warnings. Just to reiterate though, nothing is graphic in terms of blood, gore, or vivid descriptions of rape. Yes, there are some mentions, so be sure when you read aloud, you adapt accordingly.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Thanks Dana.

Just to clarify - I don't really think the book requires a warning, even though there has a been a spot or two that we've found "hard". How much we're willing to expose our children to, and at what age, is clearly a matter of personal conviction. We have used the spots mentioned in this book, and others like it, as a springboard for some very good discussion. How much better this way than to have our children hear gory truths about humanity in a setting away from the safety of home. I love home schooling and I am so thankful for TOG!

Laurie
    "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Ps. 19:14

I read this book before I read it aloud. After reading it I decided to give my son the history about the situation and even compare it to the vengeance that the Soviets took on the German citizens (esp women) when they entered Germany. Although, I truly think that situation (Germany) was even more horrible in terms of the scale of it. I didn't have him read the book or read it aloud. We did review the map and dicuss how there are many subplots to history. We spent 2 years in Korea and remember touring palaces in Seoul that had been turned into stables by the Japanese during the time that they ruled there. My heart was upset by the hatred and the fear the women went thru. I felt vulnerable as a woman reading the book. It was very powerful and like good literature, made me think and feel! I don't think it should be taken off the list necessarily, but probably there needs to be some notes to preread the book since there are some scary scenes and rape is mentioned many times as something that they were terrified of.