Thread: Gordon College/Grove City College

I was wondering if anyone out there had any first-hand information they could provide me with regarding either Gordon College in MA or Grove City College in PA. My dd will be looking at both of them. I know they have good ratings, but really am looking for some personal knowledge of either of these two colleges.

Hi! I'm not sure how much help I can be, since I graduated from Gordon College in 1988. Gordon College certainly has expanded greatly since then, as far as majors offered and the facilities to support those majors. I do have a nephew who is a freshman at Gordon College and a BIL who works there. Academically, it is a fine school. The campus and location are beautiful! It is a liberal arts/liberal Christian college, so, while you'll find mandatory chapel attendance three times a week, (as far as I know) you won't find a required discipleship or mentor program. If your child is a Christian who is mature enough to look for ways to ensure continued growth in her walk with the Lord, then it's not an issue. There are many ministry opportunities and there are ways to get to local churches each week (carpools, etc.). I thought Gordon did an excellent job with helping students obtain co-operative education opportunities (i.e. if business major, getting some experience working in the "business world"). When I attended, and still to this date, the education program was/is very highly regarded. The music programs, art programs, and science programs also have expanded greatly since I attended. For a fairly small (1200 or so students?) private college, it offers a lot!

Honestly, while I think it's a good school, if my child were going off to college, I would prefer the choice to be The Master's College, or at least a place that holds to the same doctrine that our family does and somewhere at which there is a higher priority for the students' spiritual health/growth. I'm not saying that your child's spiritual health/growth is not important at Gordon College, but I am saying that I don't think it is given a high enough priority.

All of this is just my opinion. I realize there can be such a variety of experiences at the same educational institution. Also, what's important to one person might not be as important to another.

I don't know anything about Grove City College, so I can't offer any opinions/thoughts about that school.

May the Lord guide you and your child to make the choice/decision that pleases Him most!