Thread: Movies for year 4

Hi, I just wanted to share a few movies we've written down to watch during Year 4. These are mostly PBS Masterpiece Theatre productions that I remember watching when they first came out.

They give a good "flavor" of what it was like to live in these times.

The Way We Live Now: 1870. Written by Trollope, (financial scandals of the early 1870s)

The Flame Trees of Thika: 1913 (true story, lives of English settlers in Kenya in 1913, when the country was a British colony.)

The House of Eliott: 1920's England (fictional account of 2 sisters who start up their own dressmaking business)My son watched the first series, which gave him an excellent view of what that time period was like; I'm continuing on alone--LOVE THE COSTUMES!!!

The Lost Prince: WW I (true story of Prince John, the youngest child of Britain's King George V and Queen Mary--showing much of the political events of that time)

Edward and Mrs. Simpson: 1936 (true story of the scandal caused by the abdication of King Edward)

Goodnight Mr. Tom: start of WWII (London children evacuated because of the Blitz, to live with villagers)

?? Jewel in the Crown: 1947 (the final days of the British Raj in India during World War II) The topic is about an Indian man being unjustly accused of rape, so I don't know if we will watch this or not

Gandhi (the movie)

I'm sure there are more; just haven't thought of them yet.
    Eppie

Just finished 17 years of homeschooling. Loved all 4 years of TOG Redesigned!

Thanks, Gaye!

I will have to add some of these to movies that we will be watching this year. We will also add in Sargent York for WW1 and To Kill a Mockingbird for literature later in the year. We may add The Great Gatsby, if we read that novel for lit.
    I will add any others that I think of!
    Thanks again,
    Blessings,
    April

Thanks! I was also thinking, as we were reading about Russia and the tsars, that Fiddler on the Roof would be a good one to watch, too.
    Janet, wife to 1, mom to 10
    5 graduated, 2R, 2D, 1LG - doing Y3 again!

President, Lampstand Press
    Just so you ladies know, we've done our best to limit widely available movies that pertain to the weekly topics in the "Alternates" reading charts (page 5 of every Redesigned week-plan). See the "Enrichment" row. We don't always get all there are, tho. I see some good new ones above. Feel free to email Dana@tapestryofgrace.com with any great movies that you know of. Please include appropriate age ranges and any cautions with your suggestion. THANKS!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon