Thread: Level 9 Writing

These new classes look great! I am wondering about the Level 9 writing class. We will be doing Year 3 and my 9th grade son will be doing mostly dialectic level history and literature with some rhetoric level work (especially toward the end of the year). Will the Level 9 writing class be appropriate for him?

Thank you.
    Lilli

Lilli,

Great question. Yes the Level 9 writing class will be appropriate for him as long as he is 14 by August 1st.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Blessings,

Barb

Barb Spanier
    Director
    Lampstand Learning Center
    bspanier@llc.tapestryofgrace.com

Barb, Thank you for your reply. Another question for you--since he will be doing mostly dialectic level work, he will be using the dialectic writing prompts. Will that cause any problems in the class?

Blessings,
    Lilli

Hi, Lilli.

I will be teaching the writing classes in the fall, so I thought I would jump in and answer your question. When you say he will be using the "dialectic writing prompts," do you mean the dialectic history questions?

In the writing class, I will assign writing prompts for the students, based on the grade level of the class and each student's TOG year of study. So, the 9th grade class will be using writing prompts from level 9 of the year plan they are using.

I hope that helps. Feel free to post more questions here or contact me personally via email.

Grace to you,
    Teri Skidmore
    "Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected."
    --Jonathan Edwards

Hi Teri,

I was confused. We took a year off from Tapestry this year and are going back in the fall, so I forgot where the writing prompts come from. I meant to ask--if he is doing the dialectic level history and literature, will he have the content he needs for the Level 9 writing prompts?

Nice to know you are teaching the class. My older girls had you for a writing coach when they did the Tapestry Tutor program with Write at Home and really enjoyed working with you. I'm still trying to figure out if the class will work for our son since we are overseas and in a later time zone.

Thank you.
    Lilli

Hey, Lilli.

What are your girls' first names? When I worked for WriteAtHome, I only knew the student's first name, so I can't place who they are.

Most of the writing in level 9 is related to their history studies. I would think your son would do fine, as long as he is mature enough to connect come of the factual dots that the Dialectic level focuses on and draw some conclusions based upon that. Being in a Rhetoric history course or participating in a Rhetoric history discussion certainly would be ideal, because they help the students think more deeply about the implications of what they are learning, which is what they often write about. But, if he has difficulty with a particular writing assignment, you could help him reason the writing prompts through (using the Rhetoric history discussion script).

Hope that helps. Nice to hear from you.

Grace,
    Teri
    "Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected."
    --Jonathan Edwards