Thread: Coordination with TOG Book List?

I am very excited about this new venture as history and literature discussions have always been a struggle for me to fit in and prepare for and yet I feel have the potential to be soo very valuable.

My question is related to books required. I have been doing TOG for 9 years and have a lot, I mean a lot of books. But since TOG book list has changed so much over the years they aren't necessarily the books presently being used. They might have been last years or 4 years ago or OOP books that by necessity were removed from TOG due to lack of availability but still are very good books. I can understand that the literature discussions are book specific although perhaps not the specific edition on the TOG booklist. But even that might be a problem if everyone is referring to a page number and you are using a different edition. We found this with the Odyssey and Aeneid which were even line specific in the discussions.
    But for history, if they can answer the discussion questions from their reading do they have to read the very book recommended. I did a search of Bookshelf Central and would need to buy $500 worth of books to be completely in synch with TOG book list. Ahhhhh!
    I'm referring in my case to Rhetoric Yr 2.

Dear Fay,

Great question.

Let's talk History first. We are not requiring that the students have the exact book that the RAC has listed. Of course, if your student has the exact book he/she will be able to answer all of the questions with that book. Other books may be used, the parent needs to understand that it may require the student to dig deeper.

For Literature the student isn't required to have the exact edition or exact translation BUT often it is helpful for the student.

My suggestion would be to use the books you have. For most of the work this should be fine. If you come across a situation where it would be helpful or necessary to have the exact book to try to get it from your library, borrow it, or last resort purchase it.

I hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Blessings,

Barb

Barb Spanier
    Director
    Lampstand Learning Center
    Blessings,

Barb

Barb Spanier
    Director
    Lampstand Learning Center
    bspanier@llc.tapestryofgrace.com

Dear Fay,

I agree with Barb that having the exact book list for history is not absolutely necessary.

I taught at a real life TOG co-op which had several parents trying to make it work with what was available in our local libraries. To assist them, I often made them lists of the exact topics to be read. This helped them to pinpoint books and chapters of books for their children.

I found the Weekly Overview page in the week plan to be invaluable. It lists the threads and the people that are being covered that week. I used that list to point parents towards the right books.

Of course this will require extra work for you - you are going to need to review the books you have available and try to find ones that cover all these events and people.

I've also used the internet to supplement subjects when I've not been able to find a book on a certain topic. Often there are some great links in the history section of the Loom.

Good luck, and let us know if you need help.
    Sheri <><
    homeschool mom of 3 in Virginia
    www.kauhale.com
    www.kahukahu.com