Thread: Resource for timeline dates?

Hi,

In reading through Unit 1 I noticed that there are some timeline entries that we need to assign a date to according to our preferred dating system. I'm feeling confused by this because though I know what we believe (young Earth) I'm not sure where to go to find a reliable resource for the dates I'm looking for. I would appreciate knowing what other families have used. Thank you!

CA
    Mom to DD 13, DS 9 and DS 4

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Part of the difficulty is that Young Earth dates Biblical events, but they don't include in such a system events that occur outside the Bible's narrative (such as the founding of Rome or the fall of Troy).

Those who study such events don't use a young earth dating system, and they don't always agree with each other about dates of events that occur prior or separate from some form of writing and historical record keeping.

So while you may find a timeline somewhere that coordinates these two sets of dating systems and events, you won't really have one that is "reliable" because the truth is outside of the Biblical dates we don't know until we come to cultures that have written records we can refer to and use accurately.

Bishop Ussher's The Annals of the World is a fabulous resource. I have used it as spine with my three oldest children while covering ancient history. He calculated dates based on the chronologies in the Bible and coordinated them with events known from secular world history. Includes Egyptian, Greek, and Roman history. I would highly recommend this book. It is available from Creation Ministries International here While you are there look around their website. You will find many great articles, some quite technical, that can be a wonderful resource, not just for history, but when studying high school science, too.

Another resource, which I don't have (yet) is Adam's Chart of History. It is a very large, detailed time line based on Bishop Ussher's dates. It is available, along with a study guide, from Answers in Genesis here There is also a bound copy if you want it in book form. AiG has some very good articles, also.

Hope this helps,
    Sharon
    Wife of David, Mom of Nathan (24), Mandie (23), Meg (16), Zeke (14), and Ike (12)

Ussher's book is very helpful, as is the chart. We also used the book Unwrapping the Pharaohs to help understand the problems with early chronology and with coordinating Egypt's dates with the Bible. His proposed dating makes a lot of sense.
    Janet, wife to 1, mom to 10
    5 graduated, 2R, 2D, 1LG - doing Y3 again!

Glad to hear your recommendation on
    Unwrapping the Pharaohs. I have been debating getting that. Now I will look for it at my homeschool convention.
    Sharon
    Wife of David, Mom of Nathan (24), Mandie (23), Meg (16), Zeke (14), and Ike (12)

Hi,
    Thank you all so much for your replies! I had been looking at the Ussher book and "Unwrapping the Pharoahs" so I am very glad to have your opinions on those. If we had the Ussher book, would we also need the Adams timeline to get a complete picture or would just the book suffice? Thanks again!

CA
    Mom to DD 13, DS 9 and DS 4

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

I just looked at the ages of your children and I think I would say maybe start with the Adam's Timeline for them (and maybe the Ussher for yourself ). My kids have been RH level when I have used Ussher as a spine. The reading might be a little dry for a 10 y. o. You can always add the Ussher when they go through again at a higher level.
    Sharon

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    Bookshelf Central sells the Adams time line, which I HIGHLY recommend!

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4