Thread: Government Credit

I have read a little on this and just want to be sure I am clear. Each TOG year can count for 1/2 credit of Government? Last year my 9th g. daughter did year 4 and we did not do any of the reading under "government" if there was any. It was the classic so I don't think it was set up in that way.
    Now we are in Redesign year 1 and I plan on following those reading assignments as they come up. Does that mean I wouldn't count any government from year 4 but i can start with year 1? Also, the bookself mentions a cd set with government on it. Is that required to get the government credit?
    Is there any other assignments, discussions questions or worksheets that I should look for in the redesign?
    Thanks a bunch,
    Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,
    In Redesign, the government assingments are listed for the student on the reading assignment page. the assignments are generally, but not always, from the gov't key documents CD, which you would need to purchase from Lampstand Press. The Studnet Activity Pages will list questions for your student to answe, and the discussion outline in your teacher's notes will tell you what to discuss with your student. These are very full 1/2 credits, in my opinion! Since your daughter would be doing redesign year 3 as a senior, you might want to add in a little something that year that would address gov't issues in the 20th and 21st centuries - of course, just adding in current events might be enough for that. Enjoy!
    Blessings,
    April

Howdo you know when to take the Gov't elective? At a traditional high school you'd take a semester or a year of government in 11th grade. My daughter is in 9th grade and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to teach her Gov't through all four years of Tapestry or just choose the Gov't studies she'd be doing in her 11th grade year? Wouldn't she be missing out on the info from the other three years if she only did Gov't studies for the year she'd be in 11th grade?

April,

May I know how do you grade the government credit? Thanks a lot.

You didn't ask me, but I hope it is okay if I respond to the grading question. I grade the discussion we have about the government section.

I also wanted to note that I only give 1/4 credit for each year of Tapestry government. I also don't use a standard title for this course as most/many schools only give a 1/2 credit for US government and this is so much more. I call it "History and Development of Government." My course description gives enough detail to indicate that my son has study at least as much on US government as any other high school student.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Pat
    Of course you are welcome to answer my question.
    I really appreciate all the input.
    So 100% for discussion?
    How do you grade your discussion?

I'm afraid so on the 100% although sometimes government discussion topics do sneak into quarterly evaluations.

I am pretty organic in terms of what I give grades for. My oldest seems to channel Marcia (or whoever wrote the answers in the instructor's guide) so he rarely gets less than a full 100%.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm