Thread: Napoleonic Tea Party

It is suggested in the group activities for Week 2 that one could have a Napoleonic Tea Party......Does anyone have any ideas for how we could conduct such a tea?? It sounds like a fun idea that I'd like to try keeping with the theme of the week.

Looking forward to hearing some ideas.
    Gen.

I found this:
    http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2008/06/marie-antoi...ds-doll-tea-set.html
    and this:
    http://frenchfood.about.com/od/menus...ktailparty.htm

Maybe you can research entertainment during this period: opera, classical music being played during parties, walks in the gardens, French street artists, arts, food, etiquette...

Thanks for sending these two sites. They were helpful.
    I checked them out and did some google searches as well.
    For anyone else interested in doing this activity as well, the only few things for tea that I came up with was:
    Croissants - thay Marie Antoinette would have eaten. They are originally from Austria and was known as comfort food for her. They were not as flaky as we know them today. It seems that their flakiness came about during the late 1800's to early 1900's.
    Brioche and Pate crust was another one listed for this time period.
    Petite Fours were also mentioned, but I'm not sure if that would have been during this time period....if anyone finds out, please let the rest of us know as these would be delicious to have along with our tea.

And for Dinner: Chicken Marengo was made by Napoleon's chef after his battle with the Austerlitz.

In case I'm wrong on any of these and any of you have found otherwise, I would willingly accept any corrections.

I did manage to find some French restaurants and bakeries in our area. So....I'm thinking of a field trip.....they are reasonably priced too.

Enjoying our 2nd year with TOG,
    Gen.