Thread: I'm Canadian!

And i've loved doing Year 4, and this year, Year 1 of TOG. BUT, i'm looking ahead, and year 2 seems to be half world history and half American history, and year 3 was mostly american history with a little bit of what else was happening in the world.

I know America was important, but i don't feel the need to spend a full year on her history (sorry!) - Are there any other Canadians who are amending the curriculum and have book choices etc? I love TOG, it works great for my family, and i love the way it's set up - it's just that there was already way too much America in Year 4... in my Canadian opinion... They do need to learn Canadian history, which is less important, but very quirky

We're Canadian and love TOG as well. We began with Year 1 and are now on Year 4. We used all of Year 1, the first two units of Year 2, and the third unit of Year 3 and now we're working through all of Year 4. We stretched out the first two units of year 2 over the entire year - there was so much to learn that it was easy to spend a year on just those two units. For Year 3 we did a lot of Canadian history and used Story of the World volume 3 as our spine (along with a ton of Canadian resources). I wanted to cover the colonization of Africa from a Christian perspective so we used unit 3 of Year 3. It was fabulous. I think we'll likely use unit 4 of Year 3 as well, the next time we go through it. I'll still plan to cover a ton of Canadian history that year and we'll use as much of units 3 and 4 as we want to and leave out anything that's too American and not relevant enough for us.

I found that although Year 4 concentrated heavily on American presidents, America was such a major player in the events that happened in modern history that it's really useful to study them the way TOG teaches. We just pulled in some Canadian history books alongside what we were doing in TOG.

Thank you so much for this! The exact same thing has been my struggle with deciding on TOG or MOH....so much American history! Yes, they're major players, but I just felt like it was too much. Thanks for the recommendations for how to piece in Canadian history - if we go with it, I was thinking of doing the same and skipping a lot of unit 2. What books did you use to add in Canadian history?

One thing to think about is that the study of American history is not just about being an American. During the Middle Ages there were a lot of important things happening in China and in the Middle East as well as Central and South America- but the area that had the greatest impact on western civilization was without a doubt, Europe. And so the study of the Middle Ages emphasizes Europe. Does that make sense? I am sure that if a Chinese person were to study the Middle Ages, they may want to emphasize what was happening in their own country during those years, but nonetheless they couldn't deny that the things happening in Europe were what molded western civilization.

So, the study of American history could be viewed (at least to some degree) in the same way. American history (over any one single country) has had perhaps the largest overall impact on the rest of the world for the last 200 years. It is not to uplift America- because actually a lot of that impact has been negative! But, regardless, it still can't be ignored. Anyhow, perhaps if you were to teach American history from the perspective of how it effected the history of the rest of the world (especially Canada, and studying how/what was concurrently going on in Canada) might make it to where you don't have to omit entire units. Because when you omit units you are also omitting all the developments in the humanities that were going on during that time. And there can be no argument that 20th century American greatly impacted art/music/scientific discovery, etc...

Anyways, that is just my two little American cents! :-)

*****A little addendum: The development of the United States as seen in Year 2 is of absolute importance if you are Christian. God, in His wisdom, needed a country that was free from the hold of the state churches. He gained that first in the U.S. It would be hard to teach the history of Christianity and God's move on this earth while omitting (at least in its entirety) the establishment of the U.S. and its early development.

somesarah - that is almost exactly what my husband said, only you explained it better Thanks for the reminder, I guess I'm just a bit overwhelmed with ALL the history to teach! GAH! But I do so love it, especially bringing biblical worldview into the picture!

It is overwhelming, for sure! My personal thought is that,actually you could probably teach American history better than an American because you would be more objective!

Anyhow, this is a great website that shows US and Canadian history as they complement/compete with one another. It is set up as a timeline so you can see concurrent events. It might help!

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/ht/?period=11&region=na

Much grace!
    Sarah