Thread: Combining Weeks

I am in the process of planning next year (Y4) and would love some advice on weeks I could combine. As everyone knows, life happens and last year it worked so well to at least combine 2 weeks every unit. We were able to finish and it seemed "doable". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Renae in AZ
    Homeschooling 4 girls, loving it and TOG!

I am thinking through the same thing and I would love some input as well.

President, Lampstand Press
    Renae,

It would help me to answer this if I knew the ages (or, rather, learning stages) of your kiddos this coming school year.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

I will answer. I will have a co-op of about 20 7th-12th graders, most are in 9th-12th grade though. This will be the first year with so many kids so any advice about this too would be greatly appreciated.
    I hope I am not butting in on someone else's question.

Margie

President, Lampstand Press
    How many weeks did you want/need to combine, Margie?
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Originally posted by Margie in IA:
    I will answer. I will have a co-op of about 20 7th-12th graders, most are in 9th-12th grade though. This will be the first year with so many kids so any advice about this too would be greatly appreciated.
    I hope I am not butting in on someone else's question.

Margie
    Margie, I am new to co-opping, but I'll be only doing R level lit with a much smaller group. However, what worked for me in a different year plan was to identify weeks that we could skip doing in the co-op and might be shifted around a bit and not kill the overall chronology.

I see similar weeks in Year Four that could be skipped in co-op, and families could either add them in on their own or do them later on (not perfectly, if you wait too long then you'll mess up the overall time line, but you could, for example, probably get away with moving the first two weeks Unit 3 into almost any other place in that unit and still be mostly okay).

You might also note that there are some things you might wish to skip. For instance Kafka's Metamorphosis might be too much for your age range so you could buy yourself some time by skipping it.

Once you identify some bits like these then you need to work from your overall calendar to determine how many weeks will co-op meet and when will you take breaks? Then integrate the two to create what plan you will follow.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Ideally I would like to combine two in each unit, having 8 week units gives me more breathing room.

I have been using TOG since my oldest was in ~3rd grade and this year he will graduate! I really appreciate having a curriculum that grows with my kids, thank you.

Margie

Thanks for your response Pat! I forgot to mention that I am teaching the history portion only. We have divided up our co-op so that I teach history and a couple of other mom's teach the literature portion.

Another summer has flown by! My oldest is a senior this year. That stirs up some interesting and unexpected emotions!

Margie