Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asperger's Syndrome.....

I know this thread is older, but I wanted to post - maybe this will be of help to someone!
    I have a nephew with AS, and I am familiar with the frustrations that it can bring. (I never could convince my sister to homeschool - despite all of the lawsuits and court battles she went through trying to get various states to comply with IEP's!!!)
    Anyway, I digress... I have used IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing) with my dc and I can see why this would be a good fit with an Asperger's child. There is a checklist of things that students must have in their writing - very matter of fact with little room for guessing; so, it provides a concrete way for the student to know if their writing is complete! I think that would help a child that 'must' play by the rules, and it becomes less abstract.
    Hope this helps someone
    Norma

Quote Originally Posted by Somerschool View Post
    As a general rule, PLEASE consider joining the www.hslda.org if you have a child with special needs and have ANY concerns about how well he or she is doing. Tapestry users can get $20 off the membership fee by including our discount group code (299872) when you sign up. I was an attorney at HSLDA for 14 years, and I can assure you that special needs families get WAY more than their money's worth by joining. You can join online or call them at 540-338-5600.

In particular, HSLDA's special needs coordinator, Betty Statnick, has helped countless families homeschool a child with Asperger's. She's very knowledgeable about how to adjust a program to work for your child.

If you aren't able to call Betty, the next best choice is to look at the entire set of learning levels in TOG and pick and choose between them until you find what works for your child. Children with special needs may easily span multiple levels--they may be doing rhetoric level math and lower grammar writing, or vice versa. That's okay--God knew exactly what He was doing when He created your child, and we made TOG so it could be used that way.
    I realize this is an older post (2002)...just started researching using TOG with a child with learning challenges (Asperger's is one) and I am wondering if it would be appropriate to use Dialectic level materials for high school? (I don't believe the child is capable of Rhetoric level work as far as TOG is concerned.)
    - Amy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12