Thread: SIngapore Science

Hello everyone!

I just purchased TOG and I am really excited to receive everything and get started.

I wondered if anyone is familiar with the Singapore Science program. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of selecting a science program and I purchased the Singapore Math program. So I was considering getting their science one as well. As of yet, I have not found any reviews of the science program, although I know the math program is highly rated.

The only other science program I was considering is the Great Science Adventures one.

So, any available info or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

I am in the second year of using the Singapore Elementary science program. I like it. The hardest part in implementing it has been the first year of figuring out what resources to buy and then learning that I had to construct a schedule for it. With Singapore Math, I could always just open and go but the science program needs a schedule.

Good news for you is I created one and is is posted here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Myvariousfiles/files/Sing...Science%20Schedules/

Note: I am using My Pals Are Here.

There are also two reviews of the program found here:
    http://www.thehomeschoollibrary.com/...ead.php?t=1092

Thanks for responding. I looked at the reviews, they definitely helped. I was unable to open the link that you sent me. I do not have a yahoo group account. Is there another format you could send it to me in?

Other than purchasing all of the necessary text/work books for the program, do you need to get anything else? And what about the Science program made it seem hard to implement without a schedule?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

Joining the Yahoo! group is both safe and easy. Plus there are other files there. It's proved to be the easiest and free-est way to distribute files like those.

Well, the science didn't always tell me what activity to go to after reading certain pages in the text nor did the work book sections make intuitive sense. In Singapore math, you can just go through the text stopping each time you see the arrow and going to the correct workbook exercise. Some of the science texts didn't even include the arrow, but because of the workbook and add on like More Notes and the Higher Level Thinking books, some overview of the proper time to schedule things worked.

Also, I note any stuff I might need to do the hands on activities in the science and if possible buy it and have it ready at the beginning of the year. I do that with TOG crafts as well.