Thread: Repeating Courses at the Community College

Hi,

I have a question about assigning credits on a transcript when your child repeats a class at the Community College that s/he has taken at home. Our local CC requires a math placement test. If your child places into Algebra I and takes the class, but has already had Algebra I and II at home, how can you give credit for the same class twice? How would you indicate the credits on the transcript?
    I guess I should contact our prospective admissions offices to see what they are looking for. Has anyone had experience with this?
    -Lisa

Hi Lisa,

First, I want to state that I have not had a child take a course at a CC for high school credit. I have graduated two from my homeschool and sent them to college so I do have a couple of thoughts to offer.

One, does the CC designate the class as Algebra 1? College Algebra is a more advanced algebra course than those generally taught in high school. When your child applies to a four year college or university they will be required to submit a transcript from the CC which will indicate the degree of difficulty of the course.

Secondly, if it is indeed a repeat of high school level Algebra 1, what are your reasons for having the child repeat the course? If it is because they did not thoroughly grasp the subject matter the first time and you think they will be able to obtain a higher grade by repeating, fine. But just as with any class repeated to get a higher grade, it can only be taken once for credit, so only list it once on the transcript. Your child will still need to have a copy of his CC transcript sent to whatever four year school he attends.

You didn't say whether your child has already taken the test, but I think I would start with the admissions office at the CC to determine what level the class is.

It is always a good idea to find out what the admissions requirements are at the colleges your child is considering attending.
    Sharon
    Wife of David, Mom of Nathan (24), Mandie (23), Meg (16), Zeke (14), and Ike (12)

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Lisa,
    The umbrella school I used, which is very similar in requirements to others, does not allow a course by the same title to be taken for dual-enrollment.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Thank you for responding Sharon and Dana - this is my first time asking a question on a forum.

Our local CC doesn't allow students to take any math class beyond what they test in to, so we may not get a choice. My son is currently in pre-calculus at home, but if he doesn't test into calculus, we are faced with him repeating a lesser math class, which means we are repeating a class. (I just used algebra as an example since I know another homeschooling family who did have to repeat algebra at the CC.)

We're running into this question also with foreign language. My son has had 2 years of Latin, but it's a fairly easy curriculum, so if he doesn't test into Latin 3, we'll have the same problem of repeating classes.

I'm okay with writing the repeat class on the transcript but not giving a credit, as long as it means the next semester he can take the next class up at the CC. Not including it on his high-school transcripts but then having it on his college transcripts seems odd, but maybe that's okay too.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks again,

Lisa

Lisa,

Just a little clarification. You can make a note on your transcript that the class was taken at the community college.

My two oldest each did a year at a local Classical Christian school, which friends started up, just to boost the student enrollment the first year. They were in 9th and 11th grades respectively that year. The transcripts which I prepared for them to submit to colleges only contained three years of classes and grades from me. The missing year in each case contained a note that they had attended a private school.

I did included the GPA for that year, as calculated by the school, in their cumulative GPA for high school. I would think that you could include the grade from the CC in your GPA calculation for the school year, if it is a class he has not already taken. In the case of one that is a repeat you will have to determine which year you will count it in your GPA, based on which has the higher grade.
    Sharon
    Wife of David, Mom of Nathan (24), Mandie (23), Meg (16), Zeke (14), and Ike (12)

Lisa,

I did this with my son. He just finished up the cc for dual enrollment and will be going to a 4 year university in the fall as a freshman. During our application process to colleges we talked with each admissions office to see how they wanted things on the transcript. Some had specific ways they wanted things listed and for some it didn't matter. Some wanted my transcript to have only the courses we did at home and then the cc sent their own transcript. I would suggest that you call the university you are interested in when it comes time to apply.

My son took Physical Science and Biology at home. When I went to sign him up for classes at the cc I was going to sign him up for Chemistry. They looked at me like I had 4 heads and asked me why I would do that. I mentioned that he hadn't had it and that it was the natural progression. They commented on the fact that my son wasn't going to be majoring in science but the humanities and told me to put him in Physical Science. So...he has taken Physical Science and Biology again at the college level. None of the colleges that he applied to questioned us on this at all.

He also took Algebra I and II at home and then went on to take Algebra in college.

For his transcripts I have the classes he took at home and the course numbers that he took at the community college. The colleges that we applied to were mostly interested in the college courses so that they could give him the credits for those courses. The high school courses and the college courses were VERY different and the colleges seemed to know and understand that.

I would have to say that most of the colleges we talked to based things for hs'ers on test scores, AP classes, and dual enrollment classes. Yes, they looked at his transcripts with our list of classes but I honestly don't know how much that information affected anything. I sure hope it did as we put a lot of time into the transcripts but I didn't get any questions or comments on any of the classes.

The dual enrollment counselors at our local cc have been very helpful during this whole process as well as the admissions counselors at the colleges he applied to.

We are getting ready to do the same thing with our next son. He will be applying to all large state universities where as my first son applied to small christian colleges and smaller state schools. I'm sure things will be different yet!

Let me say this as well, some of this information could depend on where you live. Here in Florida dual enrollment at cc's is free and many take advantage of it. We have excellent counselors at the cc that walk us through everything and the colleges in Florida are very use to working with dual enrollment credits. I don't know if it is like that in all states.

Hope that helps a bit.

Blessings,
    Barb

Thank you so much to all who responded, it was all very helpful. I will contact our prospective universities' admissions offices and ask them how they want me to document it.

Blessings,

Lisa