Thread: Need help with Weeks 28 and 29, lower grammar focus

Because we're moving during our break in-between Unit 3 and Unit 4 of TOG2, I am planning out Unit 4 now. I'd usually wait to plan until the break week but that won't be possible.

Here's what I need help with. In week 28, we're going to read Ben & Me as a read aloud which may last the entire two weeks but week 29 I've hit a snag.

The literature selection is The Matchlock Gun (50 pages), the other reads for the week are George Washington (D'Aulaire) pages 1-37 (two days of reading aloud is what I figure) and Liberty! (pages 2-5, done in one day). So for the week we have:

George Washington (D'Aulaire) 2 days, pg. 1-37
    Liberty! 1 day, pg. 2-5
    Ben & Me (read aloud), 2nd week
    Hasty Pudding, chapter 2
    then I have to decide whether to drop or which one to read between:

1. Matchlock Gun (fiction, 50 pages: 10 pages per day to be done in a week): feeling unsure about this but there is a student activity worksheet for THIS book.

or

2. Battles of the French and Indian War by Smolinski, 29 pages and is an Upper Grammar (4th-6th) grade reading selection, non-fiction and may be a little dry. I don't like throwing too many details at dd7 (to be 8) just yet and this would be throwing a lot of details at her.

For activities for the week, I have:
    1. French and Indian paper craft (2 days)
    2. biography page on George Washington (1 day)
    3. Benjamin Franklin Experiment book (1-2 days, can be dropped)
    4. Possible literature page if we read Matchlock Gun
    5. Quick, short mapwork
    6. Hasty Pudding reading and cooking activity

Yes, this can all be done in a week without much fuss, my question is whether to read Matchlock Gun or Battles of the French and Indian War or drop both of them?

Side question: for those who have read Matchlock Gun, is it a worthy read? I know she'll love Ben & Me, but dropping Ben & Me may also be the solution. That will free up a read aloud for the two weeks and I could read aloud The Matchlock Gun if it is ultimately a better read than Ben & Me by Lawson.

While you mull over this, I'm continuing on to week 30...

Using TOG Y3, with LG focus and Writing Aids

Can you choose what can be done given your moving schedule and save the other "reads" for the summer - when you have more time? All of them are good books, but may not be appreciated if they are rushed, or you are distracted.

Just a thought,

Pam
    Pam, Wife of Kevin, Mom to Steven (17), Kristen (15), Daniel (11), Bethany (9), Julia (6) and Jonathan (1)

Blog: http://Langhavenslatest.blogspot.com

The move is not a problem, we'll be fine to continue with our studies which don't start until a week after we move in.

I figured it out, I just moved Matchlock Gun to the next week and used George Washington Level 3 DK Reader for independent reading for week 29.

Thanks anyways

Using TOG Y3, with LG focus and Writing Aids