Thread: parallelism?

In Writing Aids' grading rubrics, one of the bullets under structure is "parallelism." I >think< have heard that term used for two different things. One is topics being kept in the same order throughout a paper (eg, if you mention a, b, and c in your intro paragraph, you would address them in that order in the body paragraphs. And if you address aspects x, y, and z of topic A, then you would address them in that order for topic B.)
    The other way I've heard the term parallelism used is making sure to keep grammar consistent; eg. that things in a list are in the same grammatical form (eg, NOT: "We went to the movies, the roller rink, and went to the coffee shop.")
    To which are the rubrics referring?
    Thanks,
    Bonnie

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Bonnie,
    Typically in Writing Aids, it's the first one you've mentioned (keeping the topics in the same order throughout the paper), but I always checked for both. In college, they will certainly count off for errors of either type.

Hope this helps!
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Thanks, Dana.
    I forgot to turn on notifications, and just remembered to check for an answer. >*blush*<
    I wanted to make sure I'm calling it the correct thing, since another writing book I checked in defines parallelism with the 2nd definition, and I couldn't find a term referring to the first definition.
    Bonnie