Thread: Length of Bible Reading?

We are in Y1 Redesigned and it says to read all of Numbers and Deut. 29-34. Are we supposed to be reading this from the Bible or the DK Family Bible? We are having a hard time getting all the reading finished.

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    I'd personally use the DK Bible as much as possible, and audio if you have it available, especially for really long assignments such as this.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

What is the dk family bible?

I'm one week ahead of you.

The DK Bible is a cross between a story Bible and a full Bible and just contains some of the scripture along with narrative to tie things together. I had used it for the Patriarch's readings earlier in the year, but for this section, I didn't feel it covered the material well enough.

What I did was to go through Numbers and describe what is happening "they take a census." My Bible has headings so I used those. But anytime something important happens in terms of a story (Korah for instance) I stopped and read it.

This ended up taking 6 days of school time to get through with Numbers and it could take longer if you have younger children and read shorter selections.

Now, I am just going to read the Deuteronomy chapters one each day.

This has made the Bible readings go longer than the week, but the next 3 weeks leave the Mediterranean area and don't have Bible readings. That works for me.

We also listen to the Bible on cd--that helps get through the longer readings, and the kids seem to really enjoy listening. I enjoy it too

I just looked at the accountability questions and figured out which chapters they had to read and just assigned those chapters.

I just switched this year from Sonlight to TOG and I am still having a hard time with TOG even though I'm at week 11 already. Some of the things that could be changed are: looking into ultralong Bible readings like this and chopping it; having answers to the dialectic questions separate from the rhetoric questions. Yes, I know many of the questions are the same but I feel I spend an extraordinary amount of time having to sift through the R answers. Also, having to hunt and hunt for some answers that are not given.

Still trying to like TOG,
    Anna