Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Les Miserables Movie Version

Does anyone have any tips for a good movie version of Les Miserables? I have seen it on stage and it is a site to behold. I would like to show a version to my lit co-op after our 5 week study.
    Dawn
    Mom To The 4 Es

does anyone have an answer for this? I would like to watch a good movie version of Les Mis as well.
    Thanks,
    April

About a year ago I bought a DVD from CBD (I think...it's been a while). It was very cheap and purposefully bought it for Year 3. Now that we are in Year 3 and my dd is reading Les Miserables, I plan to have us watch the movie after we are done reading the book. I have not yet previewed it so I can't vouch for the quality. It was made in 1957 and stars Jean Gabin, Daniele Delorme, and Bernard Blier.

I started watching the same DVD you mentioned, Laurie. It was well done, close to the story as far as I know, and very realistic. However, it was so realistic that it was disconcerting to me - very dark, especially the Thenardiers. Also, the part when Fantine is arrested is not graphic as to what she is doing, but it is so hard to watch the way people treat her. I am not sure I will even have my R students watch it, and definitely not any younger than that. I would just suggest that you preview it carefully before you decide if you will have your children watch it.

I saw the broadway stage version live, and the music is terrific. It was less realistic, being on stage, but it isn't as complete. I don't know if there is a DVD of the play, but that might be a good option.

HTH,
    Janet, wife to 1, mom to 10
    5 graduated, 2R, 2D, 1LG - doing Y3 again!

I know it is not a movie version, but the Focus on the Family audio version is Great. All of my children ask for it, for younger ones it provides an opportunity to discuss the issues. But it is not too dark, and they got a very good flow of the story and pictured the people in their heads.

You need to be a member but it is free. Great resource for materials, best prices around. This includes Les Miserables, Christmas Carol, Ben Hur, Silam Mariner, and Billy Bud Sailor on CD for $14.95 until 12/2/08
    http://www.libraryanded.com/store/CLASS502.html
    BJ
    Homeschooled from the beginning
    Boys 15, 13, 9, 7, 5 Girl 1

Originally posted by Mom29:
    I don't know if there is a DVD of the play, but that might be a good option.
    There is a DVD of The Tenth Anniversary Dream Cast in Concert. That's what we plan to watch.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim ~ Ovid
    For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison ~ Paul
    http://rivendellpress.wordpress.com/

There is a movie made in 1998 starring Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean. Netflix has it available on demand and as a DVD. I do not remember ever seeing a movie based on a book that was so close to the actual storyline of the book.
    the only girl living in the Land of Boys
    Come visit us at http://mskelli.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by mrsrevmeg:
    There is a movie made in 1998 starring Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean. Netflix has it available on demand and as a DVD. I do not remember ever seeing a movie based on a book that was so close to the actual storyline of the book.
    I recommend this one too, especially if you have boys who aren't as thrilled with the older version.
    "Never be afraid to tell the world who you are."
    ~Anonymous

Just a note. There is a newer version (sorry I do not remember which one) that has a scene with some nudity in it. Just a heads up in case someone watched without previewing. I believe the scene is Fantine when her landlord is evicting her. It caught my husband and I by suprise when we watched it.
    Mom of four -Training the hearts of Sara, Hannah, Grace, and Silas for the Lord.

The 1998 version with Liam Neeson has the nudity mentioned here...it's an awesome movie, does the best it can with the immensely long and complex plot, but that scene mentioned by AmyA is a must-skip-scene. When the landlord comes to kick Fantine out and she's lying sick in bed, you must have the finger on the power to the screen for a few minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast