Thread: do you find TOG needs supplemental bible/worldview curriculum

My son is starting 9th grade and TOG year 1. I really want to take optimal advantage of his open and teachable heart at this time to fill him with bible truth and doctrine. I want to help him be as strong in his faith as possible before he heads out into the world. I've been digging into the history/worldview/bible lessons of TOG year 1 and it looks pretty comprehensive. If you have already completed year 1, would you say there is a need for some supplementation or is it fairly complete? I really want his faith to be his and not mommy and daddy's belief in God so I'm looking for some good discussion starter curriculum questions that will help him come to his own conclusions about who God is in his life. Does TOG provide that?

TOG includes discussion in all years about the Biblical point of view on history, philosophy, etc that you will be studying.

However, I think you need something more to study the Bible and Christian ethics and theology in an organized and systematic manner to prepare a student for life.

We are using a Sunday School Curriculum for this called Children Desiring God. Let me quote just a tiny bit from the sixth grade teacher's introduction to show why I think this so important:

Over the years in our ministry together, my husband and I have seen professing Christian adults respond to the difficult storms of life—a miscarriage, a cancer diagnosis, physical affliction of their child—in different ways. Some are unshakable rocks in the face of tremendous heartache while others succumb to spiritual defeat even in the face of relatively small crises. In this latter group, some question the goodness of God, others lash out in anger at God, and some even question the very existence of God. Inevitably, the culprit—that which causes them to falter
    spiritually—is poor theology. Without theological underpinnings, faith often falters in the hard times
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Pat, thank you for your input. The greater the pull of the world and the degeneration of the morals of the world become, the stronger our grounding in the faith must be, as your quote shows. This is exactly why I want to give my son a solid underpinning of a relationship with Jesus now, while his heart is still tender and open. I've seen what community college did to my daughter's faith (basically rendered it irrelevant) and I don't want to make that mistake again.

Let me go a little further since you've already experienced a problem with your daughter.

There's an ongoing survey of youth and religion and they've published two books directly on faith and continuing. The folks doing the survey are mostly sociologist so they focus on behavior not the heart which can't be measured so they can't really tell about faith that isn't practiced.

However in the second book, they had been following the same youth for five years which means that all the youth have left their family homes either for college or employment.

They found three things which correlated with the youth continuing to practice their faith.

Number one was their parent's practice. AND the difference between the "faithful" and the "regular attenders" was dramatic. So, oddly, you may wish to consider your own faith practice and instead of saying, "I need to spend more time with my son," you may wish to say I need to spend more time at church and with my own faith. It might be time to sacrifice and do something you think God has been calling you to do (teach Sunday school, serve meals to the homeless, go on a short term mission trip, etc) and it maybe time to study the Bible more.

Number two and three are that the more often the youth prayed on their own and read the Bible on their own the better. So try to incorporate time when you pray together and not just you and your husband but the children too. Same for Bible reading. We do family read the Bible time now where everybody rotates reading the Bible out loud.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Pat,
    I have to admit, your response has me smiling. I am the technical support for our worship team and my son runs the sound board for them. We haven't missed a Sunday in something like 3 years. Plus we are there every other Thursday for WT practice. I used to run the Sunday school, my husband (who is also a trustee) runs it now. The missions trip is already scheduled for December. In terms of church participation, I think we've got that covered! We do family bible and prayer every evening. My son sees both his dad and I doing our own bible study ( I actually write bible studies for the website I am building). The only piece we could do better at is incorporating his own bible time into our day. That's our next goal! Thank you so much for your insight, I am very encouraged.

Good! I'd rather bring comfort than distress.