Thread: Concerned about grammar stage and younger children and y4 subject matter

does Tapestry split topic for younger children? I am thinking about some of the y4 topics and I know that my very sensitive 1st grader will have trouble with a lot of these.
    Wife to one amazing dh
    Mom to 5 dc
    17 yo R
    14 yo D
    11 yo UG
    9 yo LG
    and 7 yo LG

Our fifth year using TOG
    Year 4

President, Lampstand Press
    Absolutely! We had the exact same concern. What we did was concentrate attention on inventions and other cultural "fun stuff" while lightly treating wars, etc. For instance, the advent of washing machines, Mickey Mouse, and microwave ovens are all part of Grammar stage studies. We do a lot with the Space Race in Unit 4. Etc.

We do offer resources for younger students to get a whiff of some serious subjects, such as the Holocaust, but there are plenty of alternatives offered if you want to avoid these topics and still use TOG.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Thanks Marcia! I am still on the fence about Y4, but this helps a lot. I may just jump to Y1 Redesigned and start at the beginning.

Thanks for all that you do.

Blessings,
    Monique
    Wife to one amazing dh
    Mom to 5 dc
    17 yo R
    14 yo D
    11 yo UG
    9 yo LG
    and 7 yo LG

Our fifth year using TOG
    Year 4

I know this is an old topic, but I thought I might comment a bit about our experience so far with Y4 and 3rd and 1st grade kids: It has been incredible!

There are plenty of things to study (we're in the 1930s now) for the grammar stage kids without it being too heavy. I'm beginning to think we must study the 20th century, now more than ever! I am finding as a Generation X-er trying to impart a classical education, that my own generation was not adequately taught the lessons of our own century!

After the first unit, we had a great time with the Wright Brothers, Helen Keller, the Roaring Twenties, Shirley Temple, the automobile, Norman Rockwell, etc, as well as the four causes of World War I, Sergeant York, and WWI aircraft.

Blessings-
    Amy
    Veritas at Home