Thread: Reluctant Writer and Maps

I've been trying to think of a way for my Dialectic Daughter to do her maps without a lot of time, and tears. Some times it is hard for her to get the writing small enough and clear enough to read it on a map. In fact, last year, our first year in TOG, we didn't do the maps becuase of it. Here's what we are going to do, thought I would share.
    I am using labels 1/2" X 1 3/4", and I will create a word doc for the labels , from the assignment page, the items that need to be on her map. Then, she can just pull the labels from our notebook, trim around them and put them on the right spot on the map. I even played around with one myself, and colored the countries and bodies of water before putting the labels on for extra enhancement. I feel this will give us a tear free geography year.
    Blessings,
    Bonnie

wow! that's a great idea, that would work well for my 7 yos! I usually write the names on the map in pencil and have him trace them in marker! But I like this idea
    kim
    Kimberly Boyenger in Kansas
    Wife to Vernon of 31 years
    Homeschooling mom to:
    Levi 28-married to Katie w/ 1 grandson Elijah
    Luke 26-Financial officer
    Leah 24- married to AJ w/ 1 Grandson Emery and w/ baby Willow due in July
    Lydia 16-11th grade ( adopted from Guatemala in 2000)
    Lance 12-7th

I did this last year for my son with one difference, I used clear labels, so no trimming.

This year, we are going to try something different. I have typed up the locations, placing a blank line if front of each. He will decide a simple abbreviation (so the Nile River could be "NR") which he will fill in on the blank and then use to label the map.

No, real reason for the change, other than to experiment.

Hello!
    I really like this clear label idea - this would eliminate the friction over less that gorgeous handwriting ( my guys are just not into writing "pretty"!) Here is my computer ineptness shining through - how does one make a document for labels? Is this easy? the thought of formatting makes me shudder!
    Thaks for any directions or encouragemnet you can give me!
    Blessings,
    April

Originally posted by April in CA:
    Hello!
    I really like this clear label idea - this would eliminate the friction over less that gorgeous handwriting ( my guys are just not into writing "pretty"!) Here is my computer ineptness shining through - how does one make a document for labels? Is this easy? the thought of formatting makes me shudder!
    Thaks for any directions or encouragemnet you can give me!
    Blessings,
    April
    I think yes it is pretty easy.

First go buy the labels you wish to use. Don't open them just in case, but bring them home.

Open your word processing program. For the sake of this post I have MS Word which many people have. Another program might be slightly different. Most word processing programs have quite good help features, so use that if you can't locate what you need to do.

You will want to find the label formatter. In MS Word I need to go under "Tools" and then under "Letters and Mailings" there is a choice for "Envelopes and labels."

I get a pop up box with two tabs, one for "labels." On it I click right on the label they show.

That pops up still another box which gives me a long list of labels. They are in order by a four digit number. Look at your package, somewhere that four digit number will appear. Sometimes it is called an "Avery" number. Find it on the list and choose it. Then click "OK."

That will take you back to the first two tabbed pop up box. Choose "New Document." That will close the box and open a new document into which you can type.

The new document will be laid out like a table. You'll need to tab from label to label (sometimes you need to hit tab twice). It should automatically add pages as you type in labels.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi,
    My boys numbered the labels on their page and put the corresponding number on the map. I also let them all work together, although they each had to fill in their own map.

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Cool! I think I can do it! Or better yet, have the guys do it themselves!
    Thank you for the detailed reply!
    April

I use my label maker with clear tape. This has helped my boys so much. Especially those with perfectionist tendencies. I can make the writing larger or smaller depending on what is needed.

(I use my label maker all over my house. Mine is a Brother label maker. The labels come in different widths and are available in many stores. It was worth the money for our family.)
    Blessings to you and your family.
    Diane--Wife of Shannon--Mom of Josh (R), Kyra (R), Hunter (D), Ian (D), Logan (UG), Mathias (LG), Emma (LG), Sawyer (K), Forest, Autumn and baby due 3/22/10.

Label maker! Great idea! I was planning to print a list of the features to-be-labeled, then have him use scotch tape to place them. Seems like a lot of people have made such a list. Anyone have that for year 1 that they can share? Seems like that ought to be in MapAids, or at the least on the overview sheet, but I can't find it anywhere. How do the kids know what to label if they don't have a list of items?
    Tracey
    Mom to 11yods, 6yodd, 3yods