Thread: Yr 1 covers Egypt before creation, why?

I'm pulling together my lessons to get started in a few days and I'm trying to figure out why year one week 1-3 cover Egypt and then weeks 4-6 go backwards in time to creation through Abraham. As I look over the lessons I can't see any reason for this order. I'm thinking of teaching them out of order but I thought I'd ask for input from here first.
    Any particular benefit to covering 3 weeks of Egypt before creation?

Yes! I think if you will look carefully in the sample download you will find this covered in more depth, but Moses likely wrote Genesis after the Exodus. You can even find verses in Exodus where God tells him to record their history.

Because he was raised and educated in Egypt, as were all the his people they would have seen their history found in Genesis through that lens.

The Tapestry folks give some examples such as the Cain and Abel story and how that would have appeared to the newly freed people.

As you study Exodus, you'll be able to study how the plagues interact with the Egyptian deities because you'll have already laid the ground work for that.

Now that brings up an interesting point - did Moses in fact write all of Genesis? Adam and His Kin hypothesis that the words found in Genesis started with books kept by Adam and were handed down through the generations to Abram. If Moses wrote the whole thing, his background in Egypt certainly would have colored his perceptions. That might make some interesting conjecture as we discuss these lessons! Thanks for your help Pat.

There are others who think Moses used older writings, but even if this is correct, he was still the one who edited the book as we have it now possibly unifying various other writers.

You don't say how old your children are, but I encourage you to read along with the R level lit course using Words of Delight for yet another way to look at the Bible.

Tapestry does a great job pulling out many of facets of the gem God has given us in His word!

I found this a bit confusing myself but I just did it out of order

I would need to go back and read, but I'm remembering that the order was particularly helpful for the rhetoric/ high school crowd. Also that it was fine to rearrange the order especially for the younger levels. I believe the unit and year introduction notes would be the place to look.