Thread: For newcomers to Year 2

President, Lampstand Press
    Ladies,

As you are planning for next year with Redesigned Year 2, please be aware of a document that used to be an appendix to the "Using Rhetoric Literature" Loom document, but has now been separated out so that you will see it sooner. We called it "Customizing Year 2 Rhetoric Literature."

Since English credits are figured differently, we need you to know that trimming, cutting, and slashing our Year 2 plan for Literature is common. Here's why.

As printed, our Year 2 rhetoric literature plan takes about 7 hours per week for the student to implement (including a 1.5-2 hr. discussion that moms must prepare for). This implementation offers a full high school credit for Literature alone. We offered this full program because it's easier to CUT a program in customizing than to ADD TO a printed plan of study. This printed version provides a full plan for both returning students who have experience with Tapestry from Year 1 and students (still at the rhetoric level) who are new to our approach to literature. Within the Literature credit, you can choose an "Honors Literature" or a "Literature" option. Our chart in this "Customizing Rhetoric Literature" offers a plan for <span class="ev_code_GREEN">"trimming"</span> the printed plan. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Look for the GREEN text in the chart!</span> This would take the printed program from an "Honors Lit." to a "Lit" credit.

Some families want to combine Literature and Composition/Vocabulary/Grammar programs and call their credit "English," however. They simply do not have time in the 7 hours devoted to "English" to implement the Tapestry rhetoric literature as written. And, within this category, some want "Honors English" and others want "English." Obviously, various levels of work are required to earn these credits. For most students who fall into this combined English credit category, the <span class="ev_code_BLUE">"cutting"</span> option for the TOG plan as printed is highly recommended. <span class="ev_code_BLUE">Look for the blue</span> and <span class="ev_code_GREEN">green</span> parts of the chart, and omit all these listings. This is potentially still an Honors English credit, depending on how much writing and other things you add.

Some families really only want to taste the literature of the Middle Ages and 17th and 18th centuries. For them, we offer the <span class="ev_code_RED">"slashing"</span> plan. Using the same handy chart, plan to omit the <span class="ev_code_RED">red</span>, <span class="ev_code_BLUE">blue</span>, and <span class="ev_code_GREEN">green</span> shaded selections. Again, this can be combined with other English activities to yield a regular "English" credit that is heavier on, say, composition and SAT prep work than Literature readings.

***PLEASE NOTE***
    You'll want to look at this chart BEFORE you buy books for Year 2! Trimming, cutting, or slashing may mean that you won't need to buy certain books.

We sincerely hope this chart is helpful to you in customizing the Year 2 plan to fit your family as perfectly as possible!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Dear Marcia,

Thank you for all the thought and effort involved in the Customizing Year 2 Literature guide to make it work for a variety of English and Literature credits.

Is that unique to Year 2? Will there be a Customized Year 3 Rhetoric Literature guide that we should consult before purchasing Year 3 Redesigned Literature books?

Sincerely,

Beth Ann

Customizing Year 2 Rhetoric Literature

President, Lampstand Press
    Beth Ann

Year 3 is tricky because, of course, we ourselves aren't sure of the details. What I can say to this question are these two things:

1. Year 3 Literature is just plain and simple more approachable. It is more modern, includes novels, and the works are in modern languages. Therefore, Year 3 as written will be much more approachable and require less customizing than did Year 2. Also, we are simplifying the format some, as we get more feedback and think of new approaches and ideas to better serve students and moms, so, again, most families will tend to use it as written.

2. Yes, there will be advice about cutting. So far, for Unit 1, this will NOT effect book choices. The trimming that we will recommend will be from portions of our Y3 Literature Anthology, not any of the books currently on the Bookshelf for Unit 1.

HTH!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

No one can do me a greater kindness in this world than to pray for me.
    --Charles Spurgeon

Dear Marcia,

Thank you for your reply. That is exactly what I needed to know.

As we go into Year 3 Redesigned this fall, we are moving our 8th grade son into Rhetoric History, Literature, etc. for 9th grade. It seems that Year 3 will be a good transition year for handling Rhetoric level Literature Analysis. Also, with this plan, he'll probably see Year 2 again when he is a 17 year-old and better able to go in-depth. (I also like the idea of revisiting colonization, the Rev. War and the Constitution at the rhetoric level to wrap up his Senior year.)

Thank you again to all your team for your efforts to help us along in our learning, too.

Beth Ann from WI

As you are planning for next year with Redesigned Year 2, please be aware of a document that used to be an appendix to the "Using Rhetoric Literature" Loom document, but has now been separated out so that you will see it sooner. We called it "Customizing Year 2 Rhetoric Literature."
    Where IS this document? - I can't seem to locate it no matter WHERE I look! Maybe someone could steer me the right way so I don't keep going around in circles looking for it?! THANK YOU!

Originally posted by ttcurls:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As you are planning for next year with Redesigned Year 2, please be aware of a document that used to be an appendix to the "Using Rhetoric Literature" Loom document, but has now been separated out so that you will see it sooner. We called it "Customizing Year 2 Rhetoric Literature."
    Where IS this document? - I can't seem to locate it no matter WHERE I look! Maybe someone could steer me the right way so I don't keep going around in circles looking for it?! THANK YOU! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's on the web-based Loom (I have not yet received my Loom on CD) under Literature helps for the first printing. It does not seem to be under the second printing.
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi ladies,
    In the second printing, it's within the document entitled "Teaching Rhetoric Literature."

Blessings,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

I have Redesign year 2 current edition. I am not finding it on my copy of the loom. Is there another place I should look?
    Thanks,
    Bonnie

I found it!
    Bonnie