Thread: Have Print to buy or not to buy DE

I used the print copy 4 years ago before DE came out. I am trying to decide if I need to buy the DE. I think it costs 1/2 price to upgrade to DE. If I don't upgrade I assume i would need to buy the government cd since last time I only had a UG and D sons. Now we are doing D and R. Is my thinking correct? Last year (Y4) I purchased the DE and print and found that we used the Loom the most for reading poetics and frameworks. I used the DE for printing evaluations and maps. Otherwise I liked having the teacher notes to read in print.
    I would love to hear some comments on what others have done. Is not having the DE going to make it harder to get the booklist?

I'm in the same situation and have decided to stick it out with print. I think an eventual overhaul of this year plan may occur if so it might make it worthwhile to get the DE, but for now print has advantages in terms of no additional cost and the ability to pass it on as a used sale or gift.

The book list for your plan should be on your Loom CD. And I've had no problems getting the book list either at Lampstand or Book Shelf Central's list area as well. I usually check the "old phone orders" check box.

The one thing you'll want to do is look at the book updates and corrections found at the online Loom. Some books have gone out of print. Tapestry does provide you with updates for that material. You will have to get the DE to use that (at least that's my understanding).
    Pat
    "Of two evils, choose neither."
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    http://www.spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

"If I don't upgrade I assume i would need to buy the government cd since last time I only had a UG and D sons."

FWIW, there isn't much in the way of gov't on the cd. From LP website: "This product is a collection of nine works or excerpts from works by important political thinkers of the ancient world, precisely matched to Tapestry's government course. Authors represented include Lycurgus (architect of Sparta's law system), Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, and Augustine."

"Last year (Y4) I purchased the DE and print and found that we used the Loom the most for reading poetics and frameworks." From the answers to my ?'s, I understand Ryken's Words of Delight is used instead of P & F.

"I used the DE for printing evaluations and maps." Aren't evals & maps other animals? not printed from DE????

"I would love to hear some comments on what others have done." Since I heard there is to be a pretty extensive update to Year 1 (not available until 2013?) I chose to purchase a used copy of Year 1. FWIW, I've not had any trouble locating needed resources.

"Is not having the DE going to make it harder to get the booklist?" The updated booklist is available from the online Loom. http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/bookupdates/index1.php

HTH,
    Teresa in NC
    coffeebean1964@gmail.com

To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. I Tim 1:17

Hi Pat. I just upgraded my year 1 for only 35 dollars. You have to agree not to sell your print copy, though. You might already be doing year 1 right now, though. I'm not starting year 1 until September. But I wanted people to know about the upgrade. It isn't half. Since they are redoing it completely this spring, it is worth it to me. My daughter will still go through the rotation twice.

I recently upgraded my print yr 1 to DE. (I already own the other three year plans in print and DE -- we're finishing up our 6th year with TOG this year.) I did so because I have gotten accustomed to the easy searches with DE, not having to lug big notebooks out every time I want to check something, and having it all (year plan, maps, lapbooks, etc.) in one place. I also like having the updatability (is that a word?). Although my oldest dc started TOG in her grammar years and is now on the cusp of R, I'm finding that my younger ones aren't necessarily at the same levels she was in each year plan as we cycle through the 2nd and 3rd times -- so I like knowing that I can use the assignments and discussions in my printed year plans OR use whatever has been updated.

Monica
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11