I just purchased unit 1 of year 4 (I'm buying the units individually) and received the first Decades of American History book, America in the 1900's and 1910's. Not only do I have sticker shock at the price of this book, and the other volumes needed for the rest of the units, but when I first looked at it I was a little disappointed in the content. It seems to be geared for younger students than rhetoric.

When I add up the costs of just these books alone I'm seriously asking myself if I should continue with my plans to do TOG year 4.

Some may be asking why I didn't count the cost before I actually ordered unit 1. I guess I just thought that while the books were VERY expensive surely they'd be worth it in the long run. But I'm not sure.

Please convince me that it's worth it! Will I be able to resell these books and recoup most of my investment? Please share your experiences with these titles. I so want to do TOG with my 2 high-schoolers but I'm having a hard time convincing myself when I look at the cost.

I don't mean to be critical either. I've had my eye on TOG for over a year now and I really want to do it but the cost of this series of books (over $200 and they aren't the only history books) is really holding me back.

Is anyone substituting other titles for these? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Linda