Thread: Moving from LG to UG

I'd like some advice on how to transition from LG to UG in Unit 3. Do I just cherry pick between the titles - comparing title to title and make the decision that way or just use literature UG picks and use LG for the rest?

I want to transition to UG but I'm unsure how. It will be a challenge for dd8 but I think she's up to it. Or should I just stick with LG altogether and reconsider after this year? I've been working with her to read longer books on her own for a year now, my fear is that she will become discouraged if I push too much although I think she's ready.

We're currently finishing Once on this Island in Unit 1 and she's loved it.

What are the determining factors to move to UG?

Thanks!

Using TOG Y3, with LG focus and Writing Aids

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi Jessica,
    Simply put, you'll know when a child can move to UG level when they are reading chapter books instead of picture books AND can handle more difficult content. (More difficult content doesn't equal difficulty of reading. Instead, it equals being able to read more details about battles or other unsavory events that many might not prefer for a LG student to read.) I do agree with you though, that it should be a transition, and not just jumping into the next level with both feet.

Depending on the child, I chose to assign either history or lit assignments from the UG level, and the other from LG. If an occasional assignment looked too difficult in the UG level, we just used it as a read-aloud so that no momentum was lost.

Hope this helps,
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4

Thank you Dana! We're reading Swiss Family Robinson right now on our 2 week break, she's reading the Classic Starts (abridged) version and I'm reading the unabridged. I think it's time to start transitioning, I'll just have to compare the Lit to Lit and History to History books to decide which route to take.

You're invaluable Dana, thank you for your input- as always..

Blessings,
    Jessica

Using TOG Y3, with LG focus and Writing Aids