Thread: Y2 Older revised version ( 2007) vs. Newer Revised Paper Copy

I co-teach TOG literature. I have an older year 2 ( 2007) hard copy. My co-teacher has a newer revised year 2 hard copy edition. There are considerable differences in the teacher's discussions for rhetoric literature and in the student worksheets. Has anyone else run into this problem and if so how did you bridge the gap?
    Dawn
    Mom To The 4 Es

Hi Dawn,

We have been dealing with this same issue in our Virtual Co-op. As it happens, once *I* get the DE upgrade, we'll all either have a combo of First edition with DE, Second edition with DE (which is essentially the same), or a stand-alone copy of the Second edition. We were scrambling for a while last week as we realized there really were significant differences that might be hard to reconcile in a group setting. One of our moms will still likely only have the print copy of the First edition, but we've decided that we can talk through the remaining three weeks that she is scheduled to teach Lit, and try to get her up to speed without her having to upgrade to DE. She has one son left at home who is a senior and is not even actually doing the Lit class with our group, so it seemed crazy for this mom to have to upgrade to DE at this point in her homeschooling career.

I will admit that I felt a little blindsided by the differences and wished that we had realized sooner in the summer that it was an issue we needed to be concerned about. If I weren't involved in a co-op, I would just teach the way my First edition copy directs me to, sticking with all of the original readings and being blissfully ignorant that there were differences with the Second edition. But being in a group means that we have to take all of these differences into consideration, especially when we find that students have different reading assignments and there are also differences in the TNs. For History, I think students reading different sources can almost add an element to the discussion that can be missed when they're all reading the exact same material. But with Lit, it seems much more important that we're all on the same page - literally.

I'm a fan of the DE for this very reason (never needing to worry about your version, because it's always the latest and greatest), but I had misplaced my Loom CD and didn't find it until the week that the move was happening, so I didn't want to send it off until I had printed several weeks worth of Poetics and Frameworks readings, SAPs, maps, etc. I couldn't afford to be stuck with nothing since I am teaching for the first several weeks in our co-op. But this is definitely a year when it sure would have been nice to have already made that upgrade well before time for school to start!

So if you can swing the $35 upgrade (and weren't planning to sell your print Y2), you can feel better about being on the same page with the others in your group for not that huge of an investment. We have found very few differences in the History so far, just the Rhetoric Lit.

I don't know that that helps in any way - but at least you know you're not the only one facing this with Y2. If our discussion can alert others who are in a co-op that they might need to check in with everyone in their group BEFORE they head into Y2, then that's a good thing.
    Marcie
    Y3 Redesigned with 2 DI, 1 UG, 1 K'ger, and 1 toddler

Marcie,

Thank you! I have a few problems. One being half of our co-op was with us the last time through and therefore has the older revised version and half of our co-op has either a newer print version or DE.

Our co-op is on it's 8th year and we literally followed redesign unit by unit. Our first 2 years were with classic year 3 and 4. As redesign was rolling out and DE was added questions about being able to use different versions were asked and Tapestry assured us that it would be very easy to use different versions of redesign in a co-op setting. I can't in good conscious ask families who have already upgraded from classic to redesign to yet again upgrade. So I am stuck in a situation where I have 8 students with older versions and 8 students with newer. One co-op teacher with older and one with newer.

My personal intent is to eventually upgrade to DE as I have two more turns through TOG and no one will want to buy my print copy after all those years anyway. But, I can't afford it this month.

So, I'm in a position where I will literally be re-writing the lit discussion to accommodate everyone, which quite frankly defeats the benefit of owning TOG and doing it in a co-op. If I hadn't already been through all four year plans teaching lit and history for rhetoric, I would not even be close to feeling comfortable doing this. And frankly I'm not really looking forward to it. But I know that most of my families are not in the position where they can afford to upgrade or repurchase.

I agree that history is similar enough that it is easy enough to make a go of it. But I was stunned by the difference in the literature and literally just stumbled upon the differences. I'm really lucky to have even stumbled upon the differences as I can only imagine what our first co-op discussion this coming Wednesday would have been like otherwise :O

Here's to yet another interesting year with TOG! Never a dull moment, but I know the education my children are getting is worth it.

Thanks again!
    Dawn
    Dawn
    Mom To The 4 Es

Vice President
    Lampstand Press

Hi ladies,
    So very sorry that you ladies are just discovering the differences in editions and are experiencing frustration regarding co-op families using these. It's challenging for us to get the word out about differences in editions that have been printed since 2001 or 2006, etc. Plus, new co-ops are formed each year that may or may not have an experienced TOG leader; new leaders may plan diligently from their own copies and yet be surprised by differences between the editions of their members.

It has always been our co-op policy that the teacher can make copies for her students that OWN their own year-plan. So, if co-op families do not own the same edition, teachers are allowed to legally print off pages from TOG (Student and/or Teacher pages) and distribute them as needed in teaching the co-op throughout the year. **It is important to be diligent in making sure that families own their year-plan or have a license.

If you have any suggestions as to how we can better help co-ops, both in communication about differences in various TOG editions and specific helps, do feel free to email me.
    Dana C. in TN
    Vice President
    Lampstand Press

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
    like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
    I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!"
    Deut. 32:2-4